Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Necessary To Put On Winter Tires?

Old 11-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm basically wondering if it's NECESSARY to put on winter tires. I'm highly consider it seeing that I have 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Falken 512 rubber. I have heard of some problems with it, but how necessary is it to switch to snow tires with steel rims?

Discuss.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I'm using 16" in summer and 14" steelies in winter.

What winter do you have? Is there a snow? What temperature?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

better spend $200 on new tires than $2000 on repairing your car any winter. it's worse than you think. i had my kumho MX summer tarmac tires on last year and f*ed up my rim. the loss of control is unbelievable. slammed into a curb. now the rim is letting out air and i have to spend $200 for a new one. the company that sold me the rims went out of business and i cannot find a replacement.

please do yourself the favor and get some all season/winter performance tires.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:12 PM

yah, it's time for winter wheels/tires. I have Falken 512s on 17" wheels, and there's no way I'd drive them in the snow again. There was a freakishly late blizzard a couple years ago in the spring, and I was forced to drive home on them... I lived just about 2 miles up a hill, and it took over half an hour to make it up. People were passing me on this little road because I was spinning my wheels so bad. Really sucked. All-Seasons my ass. wink1.gif
Old 11-24-2005, 08:37 PM

i allways swapped the stock rims back on for winter. hell, even after selling the car, i still have the stock tibby rims in my garage
Old 11-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I wish I could put my 15's back on, and still be off the ground. 15's put me too low for comfort.

I haven't had my 15's on in almost 3 years.... what quality do you think the tires would be in? They've been stacked wheel on top of wheel (with a board under the bottom to keep it off the ground).

How long should tires last before falling apart? Tread is still plenty on them.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:45 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

it's better to use winter tires instead of all season. Cause it's hard to make a good tire that would handle good in a wide temperature range.

QUOTE (majiktib)

I think it shold be fine as long as there is no cracks and they look ok. You can go to a tire shop and they will tell you.

In UA some stupid guys use treir tires until you can see metal cord. Morons.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye, I think the tires should be OK Majik as you had them off the ground away from the moisture. As Dimi said, take it to a tire shop and get them to check it out.

As for winter tires, you live in PA so you get a decent amount of snow. I probably would get some winter tires for that... the stockers might work OK, but you won't get anywhere fast.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

QUOTE (2kShark @ Nov 24 2005, 05:02 PM)
I'm basically wondering if it's NECESSARY to put on winter tires. I'm highly consider it seeing that I have 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Falken 512 rubber. I have heard of some problems with it, but how necessary is it to switch to snow tires with steel rims?

Discuss.

DO NOT KEEP YOUR CURRENT RIMS/TIRES. I'm surprised you haven't wrecked already. At least but your stockers back on.

Take a look at the makeup of a good winter tire, and then compare that to the tire you mentioned. COMPLETE OPPOSITES. I can't stress enough, CHANGE YOUR CURRENT SETUP OR RISK LOSING YOUR TIBUORN.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:04 PM

It doesnt matter what the tread is like Majik. You should get them inspected every so often, especially if they have been on the car for a while. And do yourself a favor and do not drive recklessly on tires you havent inspected in a while. 02.gif Yesterday my tire ripped open in two spots after coasting back down from high speeds. Stupid move, but I learned my lesson.

I'm getting both of my rear tires replaced, however within a week I'm putting on some 195/60R14 Kuhmos with some steel rims. Any idea where I can get steel rims? Besides the dealer, I was thinking a junkyard..