Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

My Tib's New Shoes!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^socks you're right about the bumpiness the suspension definitely has much to do with it, but it's still more bumpy than regular put it that way. a bigger tire will absorb most of the vibrations naturally. try bouncing a 205/40/17 on the ground compared to the stock rim. the stock rim will bounce higher. try bouncing the tire at an angle, the stock rim will come back up at a straighter angle than a 17' that would bounce from one side to another and fall over. don't forget the one-sided vibrations. a stock 195/55 tire will swallow up shock and disperse it from one side of the tire throughout the whole, while the 205/40 will spread shock from one side throughout the entire rim.

and it all depends on where you live and what conditions. but i find it incredibly hard to be convinced that those konigs will look as fine in 1 year as they do now.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

^
Yeah, I read a few reviews around warning the use of 17"s on a daily driver, but the prices are unbeatable and I've had 17's before. Basically I weighted the options and 17's looked the best and had enough availability that if a problem did arise I could take care of it with relative ease. The ride cant get much worse! lol As is I have 2 rims that I know of (maybe 3) that are bent in some way or another. It never bothered me until the wife had to stat using the Tib as her daily driver. She and I are both really cautious, sometimes borderlining on paranoid, so I doubt that there will be many problems. And if so that's part of the gamble in mods.

QUOTE (mwood @ Feb 27 2009, 11:26 AM)
how much do they weigh...
I never bothered to weight them, shame on me. the shipping was in the area of 45 lbs, but ups had them listed as 2 "boxes" so that probably per shipment box. They are slightly more than my 15lb bowling ball so in the area of 17-19 lbs. But still less than the stock rim when I help them side by side (with tires each).

QUOTE (Ericy321 @ Feb 27 2009, 12:24 PM)
They were a good cheap tire but for performance I wasnt to impressed compared to others. But cant beat the price at all.

Price was the main selling point.
I had my eye on some other around all on clearance for around $50-60 but I waited too long and lost those deals. These however were a shocking find. Most places here list the between $70-150+. I just need them to last until OT is offered again at work.

Thanx everyone for you feedback! fing02.gif
Weather permitting I'll snag a few shot tomorrow of them on the car.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

cant wait to see those nice bishes wrapped in rubber and on the tib, im curious to see what the red and gold will look like, looks good sittin next to the car .
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

On that note, I agree with HyundaiKitCoupe. I ride on 17" for years now, and with the best suspension components, I do hear the plastic more than I want to.

If I were to buy new rims (again, LOL), I think that for looks, 17's are the best. For ride quality, handling and all 16's would be the smarter choice.

I do like the ride quality with my 17". That why my new set is also 17.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

here we go, the final product:

They look SOOOO good! hail.gif
Even took if for a drive and I must say after driving for so long on bent 15's, the 17"s produce no wheel shutter and drive more smoothly. Go figure. There is, as expected, more road noise but I can chock the majority of that up to poor choice in tires. And to prove it was an official project, I have battle scars!!
The shop that mounted the tires were afraid to take the locking screws out of the rotors, so I had a good 45 minute discussion with them about how non-captive rotors work. (They even made me question myself, had a fellow RDT member double check my work an I turns out I'm not a total idiot.) In the end they decided to just hand me wheels w/ mounted tires and to "have a nice day." Basically I got what I paid for by going with the lowest bidder. lol

haha.gif

In fact the only problem I found this far is a small amount or rubbing when the wheels are turned during hard breaking or on an uneven plane. But my struts are long since dead so it give me an excuse to work towards Coilovers. And the front center caps are slightly shallow, but I plan to drill them out. Give them a good inch or so and make room for the nut and cotter pin. I am still on the hunt for a good RD logo to stick in there, I kept the ones that came in the box but I'm not sure I like them as much.

My final thoughts:
For $665 total (350 for wheels, 215 for tires, 30 for lugs, 20 for centering rings, $50 for tire mount and balance) for a full package including wheels AND tires? Hell yes! Especially since I was quoted $460 for the 15" tires ALONE locally w/out m&b, then $135 to replace ONE of the bent rims; and that being from the only local junkyard that had them.... Oh HELL yes! Anyone looking to buy wheels these arrived in immaculate condition and look bad ass.

But I have noticed this is just a gateway drug to more mods. My breaks are toast and I have a caliper that has been sticky in cold or rainy weather, now that I have 17"s I'm thinking it time for the XG350 breaks up front. Plus i have a fog light out and no doubt one of my headlights is soon to blow. Plus I kind of extracted one of the corners out of the tib for testing.

Here is a complete list of mods I am working of for spring/summer:
Clear up those headlight lenses
HID headlights
HID foglights
Angel eyes
DIY clear corners
Big (xg350) break upgrade in the front
Rebuilt the rear calipers
Drill those damn centercaps and find some RD logos for them
Custom fiberglass enclosures for the Punch 15's sitting in storage since 2001
And if money (and the wife) allow AEM or similar style one-piece CAI
Maybe more to add soon.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

looks good bud. it also appears your front needs wheel alignment, but it could just be me. also do you have hubcentric rings? you should definitely definitely get them as without them the rim rests on the lugs not the hub.

good job!