Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

My Front Rotors.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I am in the process of doing the front brakes and rotors on my 2001 tiburon. I got the front driverside wheel, caliper, and braket off. I took out the set screws from the rotor, but the rotor WILL NOT come off. We have been beating on it for half an hour now and I think the rotor is going to shatter to pieces before it comes off. Suggestions please.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I believe that is a pretty common problem, most people do end up breaking them off. Use the search, I remember several topics on it.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

sounds like you've already got everything off the rotor that needs to off in order to take it loose. i'd say use some pb blast and keep working it with the hammer, but don't hit the brake surface.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM

I am replacing the rotor so I have no problem hitting the brakeing surface. I just bought some pb blaster and put it on. we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

when i took mine off the front ones were a PAIN.

do something for me though. on the inside of the hat of the rotor, look, I think their might be some type of circular clip that holds it onto the hub during assembly. When I finally got mine off there was the 1" or so band of metal that was all around the inside of the rotor, after I broke the second one off I was thinking, hey I wonder if it was just some clip I could have popped off and made that a 10 minute job instead of an hour of hammering.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 PM

heat that b**** lol
Old 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Yeah I say use a plasma cutter. laugh.gif Mine got stuck aswell when I swapped mine out. I think we just keep hitting the left and right side and finally it worked off. No for the clip...I cant remeber.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM

welcome to the club man.

click me

Took 2 days (nearly straight) of a 3LB sledge, blow torch, and a 3 ton 3 hook puller. Sucked a lot. On the second day, I had the great idea to take an impact wrench and put the 3 ton puller in it... it was either gonna take the rotor off or destroy the universe. guess you can figure out what happened if you're reading this! cool.gif
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 PM

damnit.. nobody believes me on this. There is an EASY way to remove your rotors.. and I do not care how rusted on they are.

Remove the bolts that hold the rotors on and look in the holes. If you notice, there are TWO SETS of threads there. A larger set in the rotor itself and a smaller diameter set in the hub. all you have to do is find the correct size bolt for the LARGER diameter threads, insert them, and crank both of them in evenly. This will either pop the rotor right off or break the face of it.. which will allow you to pull off the braking surface easily.

remember.. you want a bolt with a thread that will fit the LARGE threaded hole ONLY! You do NOT want a bolt that will thread into the hub's threads.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 PM

tried it... that's how the face got broken off in the pic. But yes, in not so insanely stuck rotors, this is a very good method. Sound advice.