Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Motegi Trak Lites

Old 12-31-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I want me some motegi Trak lites. I noticed that the 17x7's are 15 or 16 lbs i forget which and the 15x6.5's are 10lbs. A few questions:

1. on launches, will i have less traction with the lighter rim?

2. in terms of stricktly performance, would it be better to have the 15's? Will my cornering suffer?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Traction should not be an issue with lighter wheels as long as you have decent tires on em.

As for cornering yes with 15's cornering will feel a lil sloppy, but not terrible. my personal preferance for an all around resonable performance would be 16's. It's what you like and want though.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:09 AM

The trak lites are a proven rim. While cast instead of forged, they are known to take a beating AND still remain in one piece.

They are also light.

16s are your friend for daily driving. If I wanted to go to the track, I would run 15s and screw the speedo ratio and just run low profile tyres while I was there.. of course you would need normal size tyres to get to and from the track
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Believe me, id love to have 16s, except that there are no 16 trak lites. Its only 15x6.5 and 17x7, at least thats all ive found them to sell.... Im 90% positive.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:06 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Kaw, i don't know much about those rims, but don't get those cookie cutters man. get some nice classy rims. although mine aren't the fanciest, they match the car really well i think.

i always think 17's will always enhance appearance, and 16's just look too stock, especially those with tucked in spokes where you're most likely to bend the rim on a pothole. i spent three months day and night on the computer looking, and it was worth every minute.

PS-why get rims when you're selling the car? i think a new black tib would be hot. i like the new tiburons, not as much as the RD1's, and the newtib crowd is def. in and out people who bought the car as an alternative to celica eclipse and prelude, definitely different peeps...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:27 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jan 1 2007, 03:09 AM)
While cast instead of forged, they are known to take a beating AND still remain in one piece.

Actually the Motegi Trak Lites are forged NOT cast. They are a great choice if you value the performance benefits of a lightweight forged wheel. I have noticed myself that they don't seem to be available in a 16" size. Given that, if it were me, I think I would go with the 15". It should give you the lightest wheel/tire combo.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:44 PM

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Jan 1 2007, 03:06 AM)
i always think 17's will always enhance appearance, and 16's just look too stock, especially those with tucked in spokes where you're most likely to bend the rim on a pothole.

You are no more likely or not to destroy a rim wether it's spokes are tucked in or not. I would rather bend the lip some than take the whole shock all the way up to the hub via the spoke.

I ran 16" enkei RPO1 (rare now and hard to get as they are long out of production) and when I smacked a kerb HARD, all I did was barely bend the lip up. It never lost an ounce of air pressure and I was able to more or less repair it with a dead blow hammer. It had tucked in spokes and it was cast, not forged. Though Enkei does use a unique system of casting that is almost as good as forging.

And never buy your rims just for looks. Buy them for performance AND looks. They should enhance your car both through performance and aesthetics.