Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Making my 97 1.8L Tib front non captive + rear captive DISC?

Old 09-08-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mods that help you when you have a turbo?

Ok since someone beat me to a GREAT deal on the front brake assembly of a 01 tib over at HP.com to make my 1.8 non captive, I have decided on possibly doing this anywayz.

Now my question is this; If i get the complete package for the front from a non captive tib; Can I use my current CAPTIVE front disc brake assembly for the REAR of my car? There by Having front non cap tive and rear captive brakes?

Assuming this is possible what else would I need to make the rear captive conversion?

EDIT
welp I dont think I can use the front rotors on the back. Still not sure on the calipers.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Can I use my current CAPTIVE front disc brake assembly for the REAR of my car? There by Having front non cap tive and rear captive brakes?

no way. no way can you use front discs to the rear, captive or not.

you cannot simply swap the rotors aptive to non-captive without having to change the entire wheel hub. i got mine swapped for $150. he was a friend. i doubt you can get both hubs swapped for under $200. swapping hubs generally means upgrading your wheel hub setup and replacing it with a 2k tib hub (which fits too but it's not captive).

lastly, as my mechanic says: "front calipers compared to rear calipers are like shoes compared to gloves."
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Tibby01's LED Stuff

Eh I know what i need to get to make the front non captive swap: spindles, hubs, calipers from 2000 up tibs.

I was just wondering if I could use any of the leftover parts I would have from the original captive system to use in the rear. Also I can do the swap myself thank you very much. I change my own clutch, I painted my own car, so there would be no labor costs.

Basically what I want to do is have 4 wheel disc brakes. But since I cant use any of the parts from the front I guess im better off trying to find a rear brake setup from my year off of the FX 2.0L Tib.

Now here's my Q to you or anyone:
I have done maintenance on my front disc brakes(pads, rotor replacement) and it is a big PITA with the captive system compared to when I help my dad do it on other cars. So the reason to non captive would for aftermarket wheel compatibility and ease of maintenance?

What about the rear setup on pre 01 tibs? Is the rear captive too? I don't know cuz my car has the cheap ass drumm setup. I'm just curious cuz i remember on HP they used to have on the front page how to do the non captive swap but they only mentioned the front, so my guess is the rear doesn't need to be swapped??
Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default FS: Alpine turbo kit $1800 takes it, FINAL CALL its gotta go

No, just the fronts are captive.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: EBC Greenstuff

1.8L's don't have rear disc brakes? eergh i must be reading wrong tonight :x

just the fronts are captive and the rears stay the same all 'round.

you can get new hubs at the 'yard and switch them yourself. cuz the dealership is some sauce. lol
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Engine Caps maybe?

So which would be better brake wise?

The front non captive swap or to swap out my rear drums for the stock rear discs? I'm guessing the rear swap, if so what parts would I need to do it?
I'm guessing maybe someone on some forum has done a write up on this... :roll: Maybe on HA.com...
Old 09-09-2004, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: Rear Rotor

why dont you do both? :?:
Old 09-09-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: gettin some gauges......

Budget wise I only got like $300 to spend on it.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Official Bush vs. Kerry Thread

definitely go for rear swap man. you'll be happier with the results as well as looks.

take my word for it.

maybe later on down the road you can worry about new rims.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:19 PM

Ok so.. Anyone know the actual parts I need to do this?

Cuz I know for the non captive front swap its the spindles, hubs and calipers but for the rear I'm not so sure.

Would be cool if someone knew a junkyard around them that had a tib and could find out a price estimate cuz I've been looking around junkyards here in PR and I've had 0 luck.