Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Loud Knock Sound From Front End Over Bumps

Old 05-01-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I hit an abrupt bump or I hit a bump while under heavy acceleration, I get a fairly loud knock sound in the front end. It must be suspension related I'm thinking. If I were to descripe where it is comming from, I would say it sounds like the up in the top of the strut area. It only happens once in a great while, like once every month or so. It sounds like metal to metal contact. It's been like this since I can remember. With stock wheels and aftermarket wheels, with my body kit and without. I have not done anything to the suspension ever. I work on my car and I've never noticed anyting that looks like tire rub or anyting els out of the ordinary. Anybody els have this? Anybody have a fix for it?
Old 05-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

a lot of the time, the reason for a "knocking" noise when going over bumps is your strut mounts. these aren't that expensive to replace, just make sure when it is replaced to have the car lined up.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:22 PM

I don't think its that. I have a Dodge Shadow that I drive in the winter and I know for sure that I have that issue in that vehicle. It sounds different than the problem with my Tib and the Dodge does it over most bumps rather than only on abrupt bumps and under load. The Dodge has a kind of bump sound and the Tib has more of a hit or knock sound, kind of like if a rock gets thrown up in your wheel well.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Maybe it's the down pipe hitting on the lower engine mount brace. You would probably never notice a rub or physical evidence there. How much clearance is there?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:41 PM

Nope, not that. Like I said, It has done this for some time now and I just put in my header in the last couple of months. I noticed the problem when my Tib was bone stock. I have not bothered to go to the dealership since it happens so rarely and the closest one is about an hour away. Also for a little more history on my car: I purchased it brand new, and it only has 24k miles on it.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

check the ball joint
Old 05-01-2004, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Most likely, it's spring coil bind. What happens is that when you go over a bump, the lower arm bushing flex, moving the angle of the strut... the spring coils that are touching slip and "snap". It's a sign that your suspension is starting to wear. Not really harmful but certainaly disconcerting.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:04 AM

check your calipers
Old 05-03-2004, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Koykoy)
check your calipers

I agree. I had my brakes done on my Excel once and I forgot to put these little spacers in, now everytime I hit a bump, sounds just like you said.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 AM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
QUOTE (Koykoy)
check your calipers

I agree. I had my brakes done on my Excel once and I forgot to put these little spacers in, now everytime I hit a bump, sounds just like you said.

I'll jump on this bandwagon...I completely frogot to put one of the bolts back in and it sounded like there were rocks rolling around in my wheel well. Sucked hardcore.