Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Lightweight lugnuts - unexpected issues?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Tiburon
Default Lightweight lugnuts - unexpected issues?

Ive heard that the fact that the lightweight lugnuts are made of aluminum or magnesium - makes them start reacting with the different kind of metal threads (steel? iron?) and possibly get stuck because of chemical reaction!!!!!

As I did take a bit of some chemistry, and a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.., I see this as a very possible and negative outcome of going for this kind of weight reduction. I dont want to screw up my car.

Does anyone know about this or other problems with lightweight lugnuts?

I cant help but think that the high heat of track running make any possible electrolysis reactions go faster. It just seems like a bad way to spend $ 70-80 bucks for minor weight reduction given what might happen- (have also heard that they arent that sturdy) - plus it is weight reduction that is very close to the center of the wheel anyways and that lessens it's effect.

Comments from the board?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

aluminum can be strong in many circumstances-...

i believe the front subframe on a zo6 is made of magnesium, which prolly needs to be kinda strong-...

and i believe the lugs on a lamborguinea are made of titanium-...

i don't think that any of these alloys have a superior strength compared to steel but enough to do the job.

me personally, i wouldn't spend that kinda dough on lug nuts (and i've thoroughly thought about it in the past). instead i'd spend less than half as much and just get a short, open-ended, steel lug nut. there should be a wee bit of weight savings over the chrome capped style but (like an alloy nut) prolly not enough to really make a difference.

i should also mention the studs should get a decent coating of anti-sieze (the copper one rocks) so it really shouldn't be in "direct contact"