Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Kyb vs Used stockers

Old 02-05-2003, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyb vs Used stockers

What would you guys get

Used stock struts from a 2k1 tib with 15K miles for 150 for all 4

OR

New kyb units for about 60 bucks each plus shipping?

Stock springs will be going on the car

2k old eibach springs will be up for sale wink tongue.gif

Just curious... im an idiot when it comes to these things suicide
Old 02-05-2003, 07:10 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Unless money is an issue, I'd go with the KYB. Out of curiosity, why are you switching back to the stock springs?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:43 AM

aM tHiNkInG BoUt 18's yO
wiggle_m
Old 02-05-2003, 07:56 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Cool. If you do decide to sell those eibachs post it up, cuz I need to look for some for less than retail later this spring. I'm cash poor at the moment, though. My wife and I just bought a 2000 4Runner.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Get the KYBs, definitely. The damping rates are higher than the stock units, and the ride will be much tighter than with the stockers.
If you have to replace the struts, and you want a nice sporty ride, the KYBs should make you very happy.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:22 PM

will the Kyb's like my eibachs if i decide to keep them?

I heard they are softer than stock...

Anyone care to explain...?

I apologize for my stupidity ... suspension is not my area
Old 02-05-2003, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Jaws, check this out...

The thread I've linked to is from when I did some research a while back in determining what struts I should pair up with my H&Rs.

Keep in mind, this is based on the Accent, but the same idea should apply to KYBs for ANY car... in short, the KYBs will be significantly stiffer in rebound damping, and somewhat stiffer in compression. The numbers for the KYBs for your car will be higher, as your car is heavier etc.

Struts are not as stiff in compression as it's the spring's job to absorb bumps. The shock really comes into play after hitting the bump, when the spring wants to continue oscillating. This is where a shock with good expansion/rebound damping keeps the car from bouncing, keeping the wheels in good contact with the road surface. Rebound damping is where the added stiffness is needed, as that's where the shock is fighting the spring's tendency to want to extend to it's full height and continue to bounce.

So, the KYBs would be the best choice either way... I wouldn't bother with used stock struts, even if I was using stock springs. IMO, it's well worth the added expense to get the new KYBs, if you care at all about your car's ride.

Now, also, keep in mind that the KYBs are stock replacements, which means they aren't meant to be used if you plan to drop the car an obscene amount. I'd think they could take a moderate drop, say up to 2 inches, but dropping a car at all with stock or stock replacement shocks will shorten the life of the shocks.

Now that I've rambled on for an hour, the KYBs with either the stock springs or the Eibachs will work well.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:12 AM

JAW, let me know if u want the KYB, i'll hook u up.....

I'm SoNiC, the one with the white 2gen tib at Random's place a few times, if u don't remember...
Old 02-13-2003, 08:59 AM

The KYB GR2 are a waste of money, they are mearly OEM replacement, if you were talking about KYB-AGX shocks, thats different. But since there aren't any AGX shocks made for Hyundai...so...just go back to stock...
Old 02-13-2003, 11:46 PM

HE-MAN:
The KYB GR2 are a waste of money, they are mearly OEM replacement
Uh i really disagree with that statement. I own a set of these for my '97 tib and the dampening is much stiffer over stock. I wouldn't pay for 4 at $60 each when you can go to tire rack and get the fronts @ $50 and rears @ $47. With shipping i ended up spending like $215 to my house and they came within 2 days. Click here and scroll down till you see the KYB's.