Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Knockoff wheels

Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Elantra
Default Knockoff wheels

Everyone keeps telling me not to buy knock off wheels and to save up to buy name brand. I really dont want to spend $3,000 and up for rims so if I do get knock offs, how much do I have to worry about them cracking, bending, or falling apart on me while driving?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I really have no idea what you're on about. I bought a set of 4 Konig wheel with tires for $400 shipped. They may not be the new hotness, but they look good and have proven nicely rough&tumble. Really, it's called shopping.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Cheap

Light

Strong

Pick two mang
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The concern with "knockoff" wheels is that they are cast, not forged, and will crack/break not bend if you hit a curb. Don't hit a curb and you won't have problems.

By "hit" a curb, I mean go off-roading up and over, not a simple curb-mark.

Buying $3,000 "legit" forged wheels like Volk or Work are not necessary. Thousands upon thousands of people own VarrsToen and XXR wheels, possibly the most common "knock off" in our market.

Forged wheels tend to bend, cast tend to crack/break. I say whichever happens in that rare instance, you're screwed either way.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

knock-off is relative also..

Most wheels out there are CAST and not forged.. Hit a wheel hard enough no matter the manufacturing process or material it is going to break.

It all depends on what you are considering knockoff. Knockoff XXRs from a sweatshop in china that cost 40$ a piece... you are going to have issues..

Buying wheels like:

Rotas

XXR

Konig

Enkei

Kazera

MB Motoring

Drag

Axis

Motegi

Tenzo

TSW

among MANY other brands you will be totally fine if you are driving normally, racing even and not driving on super skinny tires and jumping curbs.

I would never see the purpose to spend money on Volks, Work or like rims unless I was in competitive racing and constantly abusing them while also needing to save every ounce I could in weight.