Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Humming And Vibrations In The Wheels

Old 07-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

00Tibby-
It is the wheel bearing and a warped rotor. I had the EXACT same problem. I swapped rotors and the vibrations stopped. I had the wheel bearing replaced (under warranty!) and it took care of the noise. fing02.gif

If you plan on buying new rotors, DON'T get OEM ones. They are the most expensive rotors I found!

If you are not under warranty, have Sears do your bearing. I think they offer some kind of lifetime warranty on it....(help me out guys)
Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 AM

The thought crossed my mind bringing it to Sears Auto. Uhh, I'm the second owner of the car, and above 60K miles and the dealership said I'm not covered under warranty anymore. My question is, are OEM bearings compatible with aftermarket wheels? Kinda a n00bish question but nevertheless, a question. tongue.gif
Old 08-01-2005, 12:17 PM

QUOTE (2kShark @ Jul 30 2005, 02:52 PM)
Hm, alright.

I guess I should think twice before trying to replace wheel bearings on a Sunday *sigh*. I did head over to Autozone though and I asked if they had wheel bearings, and he said there were none for the Hyundai Tiburon. I asked if it was a special order part and he simply said no. I also mentioned that I had aftermarket wheels and he added, "Yeah, then we definitely don't have them."

Aftermarket wheels have NOTHING to do with your bearing... auto zone does carry them... he sounds like an idiot if he asked you that. There is no "special" bearing for aftermarket wheels..
try another auto zone

Try kragen and those shops..
I guarantee they sell them... cause well.. i bought a set already
Blktibs bought a set not that long ago

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jul 30 2005, 05:52 PM)
that is a wheel bearing.. no getting around it. My driver's side is bad as well.. going to have a local shop do it for me while I am working.. little under $200 was the quote I got.

Ouch,... are they giving you an OEM part?

QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Jul 31 2005, 03:04 PM)
DOn't get the brake rotors turned.. just get new cheap rotors. I turned my stock rotors and it was the first time.. mine are already getting unbalanced.

Really? My stock rotors never warped... are you taking good care of them? Ever spray water on them while hot?
Thats probably why...

To answer an earlier question.. i think your rotors are warped because of how your steering wheel shakes when braking..
That is really more of a rotor issue than a bearing issue..
Noise is definantly bearings though

Also to add... having your rotors turned/fixed only cost about 10-20 bux.. new rotors are much more..

But if you wanna go that route.. i suggest you get some nice cross drilled ones..
Old 08-01-2005, 01:34 PM

under $200 for a front wheel bearing is not bad. It is ALL Labor, which with it hovering around $65 an hour here, means a little over two hours of work plus the bearing ($35). Considering they have to pull everything to get the hub out, press the bearing out, press a new one in, and reassemble the front suspension.. it does not sound bad at all.

Last time I had a dealer do it, it took three days for me to get the car back.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:50 PM

I guess Ill try Pepboys.. the AutoZone I went to was kinda shitty. I dont even know of another AutoZone around here.. Definitely don't want the OEM part if they're so cheap.

*EDIT*

Don't dealerships charge a shitload for their OEM bearings?

Nvm.. $50-100 each. Geez.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 AM

heh... glad that i saw that topic yesterday.. called in to the autoshop where i usually fix up my car, and got quotas of 200-300...then guy told me that cheapest wheel bearing will be 120....makes me think if i want to do business with that autoshop now.

-------edit-------
Got a call from Sears, they'll do everything for 50+my part. fing02.gif

anyone has any idea where can i get an aftermarket bearing?