Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Hub Removal Help...

Old 05-30-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I love the "new" look of the site.

Anyway, I need to replace 3 wheel studs on a captured rotor. I've removed the caliper and axle nut and am using a gear puller to press off the hub. I've gotten it so the axle is flush with the outer surface but I now have to use a 3' pipe and 3/4 ratchet to try to turn the threaded puller any farther.

I don't want to screw anything up by using that much leverage when there may be something I'm missing. The rotor/hub assembly has moved well over an inch but wont move any farther. It looks like its just about to pull off but wont budge another milimeter.

Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you have to take a chisel/steak and hold it against the back of the rotor. take a hammer and pound each side off slowly. a lot of people make the mistake of pounding the rotor off until it breaks. with a chisel you can avoid this and with enough hits it will eventually come out.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:58 PM

So just keep hitting it from the left, right, top and bottom from behind? Should I leave the pullers' pressure on it as I whack it?

Maybe every 10 whacks, I'll get to tighten the puller screw.

Thanks!

Well, I figured out my problem. The tool I was using somehow cross-threaded itself. I was able to screw it in by hand about 1/2 way through (until it contacted axleshaft) then used the ratchet for a while and it was coming off nicely. Then it got so hard that I couldn't turn it any more.

It was a while later that I realized it somehow was stuck in it's own threads and not that the hub was that stuck.

Not sure how I used my fingers for most of it's travel (proving it wasn't cross threaded at the beginning) then it sort of jumper a thread???