Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

How To Stop Rear End From Sinking

Old 05-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently I've noticed that when I have my siblings in the back seats the rear end of my car dips down really far. The combined weight of them is only 210lbs or 95.25kg, my rear drops nearly 2.5 inches. I decided to test in other vehicles to see if the problem is with my suspension and turns out that it happens in almost every vehicle, some with drops up to 4inchs (Mazda 3).

The only vehicle that I saw little difference in the height with laden weight was my TL, about 3/4 inch. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to help reduce these effects of having weight in back. I tried searching to see what was different with my suspension and that of my TL and realize they are completely different and I really can't use that info to aid in my solution.

Is it a simple issue of replacing it with a better combo such as coilovers, or is it just a matter of springs and/or dampeners. Please let me know since I am looking to try the Kspecs coilovers, if I do go this route will a higher spring rate help since it means less compression with the same amount of load placed on them? I don't mind a little stiffness if it means saving my chassis and exhaust.

On a side note, this is a family vehicle, though I want to have fun driving it without fear of bottoming out on a speed bump if I decide to go over them little faster than 10mph. I know that's a lot to decode in one message but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 AM

How many miles on your springs and struts?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:18 PM

only 43219miles
Old 05-05-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I have them same problem. Did it with my stock springs and dampeners, and still does it with my Eibach Pro Springs and G Force Struts. Not sure what to do.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:15 PM

not really much you can do. Chances are it is a suspension design problem. As the suspension in our cars was originally designed for the Elantra, that is where the problem lies. If you look at our four door cousins, when people are in the back seat, they sit ahead of the rear wheels. On the tib, they sit with their butts just between the wheels. It is just a matter of how the weight is being distributed.. in the tibs, if you put people in the back, there is too much weight over the rear wheels.

I wish I had pictures. Two weeks ago I brought home 10 eight foot long 8 x 8 beams for my driveway.. I had NO rear suspension. It is a good thing I only had to drive a mile from lowes to where I live.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

You could get some H&R springs with some GR2 struts. Which I have. Coilovers are more for people who want to tune their suspension, I should have gotten them. But if its jsut a daily driver with out much weight reduction then get springs and struts.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:07 PM

So if i'm hearing right i first need to look more into design and go from there. And secondly, that coilovers would help in needing to have a daily taxi and a weekend track car in the near future. Thanks for the info thus far. Keep the info coming if anyone else has solutions in mind.