Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

How To Replace Cv Joint Boot

Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys give me a quick how-to/diy on how to replace the cv joint boot? I couldn't find anything on the site; I searched.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

lol... im gonna need the same thing. my boot split last year and i pulled it in the shop to get the body work done and havent really drove it since... i might need to replace the whole thing. not just the boot tho!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you catch it early enough to do just the boot then you need to just take the wheel off, remove axle nut. Then I think you can get away with just doing to top two bolts that mount the strut and you can swing it away to get to the boot. Its been a while though.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You remove the axel, separate the two parts by tapping on the edge with a hammer, slide off the old boot, put on the new one, pack it with grease

then hammer the fuxor out of it until it pops back into place. If you don't hammer it hard enough you'll end up like me and be owned

I screwed up my splines because it was not seated correctly and they were shreaded.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 PM

^^ so how do you know if it's seated correctly/in enough? wouldn't banging on it, so that the 2 halves join, cause problems to the transmission or rip into it ('cause you'd be hitting the end of it (where the axle 32mm nut screws onto) against the transmission).
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it's seated correctly, you cannot wiggle it back out by hand.... Like I said, I was owned. I hammered it lighly because I thought it was a delecate flower because I keep hearing about them breaking all the time. That sucker is meant to haul some serious weight, it can take a good smack.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM

alright, cool, DTN. Let me try that. Thanks, guys.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

A couple of weeks ago when my drive shaft seals died and the gear box dumped its oil on the drive I also found (while investigating the source of said leakage) that the CV boot on one side was completely split and the other side was about to split. I decided that the best way was to just change the lot (both drive shafts), so after looking around I got these and put them in on the weekend. Took about 1.5 hrs total.
If you are going to work on the drive shafts to change the boot, remove it from the gear box. Don't hammer it while it's in the box or you will cause damage.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Location: Burlington Iowa, where theres just as many tractors on the road as cars.

Mine just split today. Cant find an oem replacement so I had to go the uni-fit way, dont want to but have to. Luckily I was at work and just pumped some more grease in there and "sealed" it back up with duct tape, hopefully it will hold until this easter when I`ll have time to replace it.