Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Help Me Please

Old 12-01-2002, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Please

When I am on the highway and I start going around 65mph to 70mph + my steering wheel starts to shake for some reason, then when I have to apply the brakes at that speed, my steering wheel shakes real bad, until it gets to around 45 mph. Why? What do I need to do to correct this?

Help me out please, this is getting irritating
Old 12-01-2002, 05:40 AM

Do you have rims? IF you do, then they are either
1)Not balanced correctly 2)You need an alignment
3)You need hubcentric rings
Actually you need hubcentric rings no matter what if you have rims.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:28 AM

Hubcentric rings? What are those?
Old 12-01-2002, 06:33 AM

Plastic(or in some cases metal)rings that go around your hub that takes away the gap from the cars hub and the center of the rim. Some people are lucky enough to actually get them with their rims, and others aren't(like me). I had to look high and low for a place that could provide me with them for my wheels.
As long as there is a gap between the center of the wheel and hub on the car, there is a SLIGHT chance that the wheel can come off.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:49 PM

Exactly what he said. Any good tire/wheel shop that sells aftermarket rims should be able to order these pieces for you, that is, if you need them. I'd definitely see if you require an alignment, balancing, and so on. Driving a vehicle in that condition is hard on a lot of parts, especially your rubber. You'll go through a set of wheels a lot faster than most of us would.
Be safe than sorry. wink