Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Grinding Noise When I Reverse

Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Grinding Noise When I Reverse

Hey guys,

So I've had this weird issue since I've owned the car, and it only seems to happen when I'm in reverse. I've taken it to multiple places and they can't seem to really figure out what's going on, so I'm wondering if anyone's had the same issue or might know something more about it.

Note: I drive a 2001 Tiburon 5 spd manual trans.

This doesn't happen every time I go in reverse, but it does happen quite often and usually when I'm reverse parking ie. turning while reversing into the parking spot. I'll hear like a grinding type of noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Sometimes it just makes the noise for a second and it stops and other times the noise is prolonged and it keeps making the noise until I stop the vehicle.

Could this be like an axle issue or something else? One of the places I took it to said it was something wrong with the transmission, but why would it sound like the noise was coming from the rear of the car? Another shop said something about the brake pad or something (sorry I can't remember specifically what) was dragging on the rotor in reverse? Not too sure, but if someone could help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I've had this issue before, I think it turned out to be my rear brake pads flaking so it would scrape when I backed up. check the pads for cracks chips or dust in the slot, give them and the rotors a quick spray with some brake cleaner while you're at it.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^ So it didn't end up being a suspension or axle issue? I'm actually about to change my rotors and pads so hopefully that'll take care of the problem. Thanks for your input