Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Gram Lights 57c (gold) W/eagle F1 Tires

Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I have pretty much every suspension mod you can buy except for polyurethane bushings all around.

I will oversteer sometimes but only if I yank the wheel quick.

I think it is mostly because of the tires though.

I have:

Ksport full coilovers
Eibach sway bars front and rear
SR front, rear strut bars, and their centerbar with customized mounting brackets for extra strength.

I drilled out an extra set of holes in the rear sway bar farther in away from the very edge to reduce the leverage and increase the rear ends stiffness. I might move the links to the stiffer setting.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:28 AM

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Aug 7 2006, 07:35 PM)
I drilled out an extra set of holes in the rear sway bar farther in away from the very edge to reduce the leverage and increase the rear ends stiffness. I might move the links to the stiffer setting.

:O Cool.

btw: I was looking around at some other posts, I think my numbers are off, but it kinda gives you an idea of what your looking at.

Check this website out, it's alot more helpful than my numbers. It's posted on the Sticky Topic of Wheel Offsets at the top of this forum.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_specs.jsp...=8.0&et1=10

Using that site, try the following specs:
235/40R16 on 16x8 +25
Those seem to get the right specs as far as tire height and good backspacing.
Gives you 1.6" more footprint vs stock and 1.2" more than a 205/40R17. (Common +2 upgrade)
It pushes out the wheel 1.5", which might work for what your trying to do.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:37 AM

Damn, there is no way I would be able to do a 235. I would probably have to do some serious modifications then. The only options with those wheels are +30 and +38mm.

I think my only option if I go the route of insane width would be to get the +38's all around (POSSIBLY the +30's in the rear, but there might be fender clearance problems) and a 225 tire.

I will for sure have to raise the car some and modify the fenders to get it to work, but it would be sweet.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help and if I ever get these darn things I will for sure post up my results. smile.gif
Old 01-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Thought I would revive this thread since I am REALLY considering getting a specific setup now.

Here is what I am going with,

The gram light 57s, +38mm offset 16x8, yes 8" (I will make it work, lol), with a 215/45/16 falken azenis rt615 tire from vulcantire.

I need to find some good companies to get the wheels from, I called a few places and never got an answer, it seems hard to find good dealers over the internet.

It would be really sick if I found a place that carried the wheels and tires so I could get them mounted and balanced before I even recieve them.

Let me know what you guys think! I bet it will handle twice as good, I can't wait.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 AM

Bump, please, looking to buy soon, some replies would be great guys.

I am thinking of getting a +30 offset instead of the +38.

Going too far there? I figure that would be farther toward the fenders not only the extra .75" (due to the 1.5" wider wheel), but then another 12mm. Thats like an inch and a quarter huh?

Reason why I would like to push to the +30 is because the look of the wheel changes the farther in the hub is, the spokes begin to suck to the center instead of sticking flat out and ugly. Also, the farther out toward the body the edge of the wheel is the better. Right now I have 1/4" spacers on the stockers and I still get the clearances I mention in the following sentences. I figure I will be okay with the +30's. The tibs wheels just sink WAY too far into the body, hindering the body lines looks and performance.

I know I have a good 1.5-2" of clearance between the tire and the fender in the rear right now, but there was only about 1" or 1.25 in the front, pushing it. But the tire on the 8" wheel should be slightly stretched so I am hoping that fact will help. I am willing to raise the car an inch to accomodate these wheels and tires and to alleviate any possible rubbing issues. I could also roll the front fenders.

I have the Ksport coilovers so I have a good .75" of clearance between the inside of the tire and the strut.

What do you guys think? It should fit right? LOL. If it does it is going to be one sick look transformation.

Please post up any thoughts ASAP, I am looking to purchase these as of right now within the week so there isn't much time.

Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, here is a link to the offset calculator and images I came up with, you can see how the line of the wheel changes and the lip gets deeper (I like, lol).:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_specs.jsp...=8.0&et1=10

Shit you guys will have to enter the stock tire (I have the 195/55/15's) and the new tire 215/45/16, along with the stock wheel 15x6.5 and new wheel 16x8
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 AM

just FYI,

My current setup is:

Front: 205-45-16, 7J, +35 offset

Rear: 205-45-16, 7J, +32 offset

I still have some spacing between the tire and the fender, and also I don't have any rubbing issue at all.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 AM

^^^ Thanks for the info. I am trying to purchase these today, but can't get through to any of the businesses. Huh, I might just go ahead and order the tires and try for the wheels on monday.

I suppose I am pioneering the attempt to fit an 8" wide wheel on an rd1 huh? I am looking forward to the challange if there are issues when it comes to fitment.

Any additional replies are definately welcome. cool.gif
Old 01-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Well, I made the jump, only downside is that there seemed to be none of these wheels in the U.S. They have to wait to recieve them directly from the RAYS foundry in japan (I suppose that is where it is). 90-120 day waiting period.

I ordered 16x8's with +30mm offset all around (I hate the change in the wheel shape from front to back when the front has a higher offset so I will make this work). I am getting falken azenis 215/45/16's mounted on them (how much stretch do you guys think there will be?). I would like the tire to stick out further than the wheel, I think that will be fine since these tires seemed to have a decent sized rim protector band around them.

They give me free mounting and balancing with sticky weights behind the spokes, and FREE forged lightweight RAYS lugnuts (1 locking lugnut for each wheel, I have a feeling I will need it). I selected black for the color, also there will be free aluminum RAYS valve stem caps that are black as well. Man it is going to be SWEEEEET come spring time when these actually arrive.

I checked and it SHOULD be fine with the wheels 1.25" closer to the fenders up front, there will be no problem out back. If problems do arise, I am willing to modify the fener wells, and raise the car as well as buying a fender roller and rolling the fenders.

I will have to get hub centric rings made due to the center bore being a good 1/2" too large, but that is no problem.

Anyway, I guess I will revive this thread in the spring! cool.gif

Oh yeah, the total for everything came to $1645 shipped (shipping was $177 via truck freight from california, and transfering to a local company that will let me schedule a delivery time).
Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

215/45, will probably not stick out past the wheel unless they are not inflated smile.gif

go to 235
Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Well, on a 7" rim, they had a bit of bulge on them and for the falkens I already ordered, they list an 8" wide tread area and 8.4 inch total tire width, so I think it will be fine. I would've liked to go wider, but it increases the chances of rubbing and means more tire flex so.

Thanks for the reply though.