Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Gonna give my Tib a brake job

Old 05-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna give my Tib (RD2) new front rotors/pads and new rear pads next weekend, anything I should look out for? I've never done a brake job on a Hyundai before. Anyone remember what tools where needed? Any hidden pain in the arse complications that come up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:57 PM

depending on how long your rear rotors have been on the car and what kind of weather they have seen, i.e. snow and salt. you might have a tough time getting them off. the shop that did my brakes had to take a torch and sledge hammer to break the rears off, they came off in pieces. they had never seen rotors that bad before.

other than that, it is a basic brake job.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Ummm, you'll need a C-clamp or equivelent to compress the front calipers. An the rears compress by turning and pushing. Needle nose pliers work well for the rear calipers if you don't have the special tool.

Front rotors for a 00-01..you'll need an impact screw driver to remove the screws from the rotor center, if they havent been before (I just took mine off so trust me, it's more that just a screwdriver and you don't want to strip the heads). If the rotors are kinda stuck..pull with your hand while tapping the wheel stud gently with a hammer. Alternate side to side top to bottom and tap the opposite stud...be patient, it will break loose eventually.

Clean off as much rust from the front drive hubs and studs as possible (a dremmel tool makes it faster but a regular brass or steel wire brush will work too) and the new rotors should slide on fully with out problems.

Reinstall the screws in the rotor face if you want, or leave them off. I put mine back in, since my Konigs fit over them.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

http://rdtiburon.com/index.php?name=PNphpB...t=818&start=240
Old 05-10-2004, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

well, how'd it go?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 PM

Default RSide Advanced Sifter Breakthrough, MUST READ!

LOL, didn't do it yet. I forgot it was Mothers Day weekend. I ended up donating my labor services to my mother-in-law and did TONS of yardwork for her over the weekend.
Prolly get to it next weekend, or sooner, I dunno.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:06 PM

just be prepared to have your rotors rusted to the hubs......the dealer had to cut mine off with a tourch after hours of trying every other method......however they did install my new sloted rotors and pads for free because they had to distroy my old rotors to get them off.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:38 PM

Alright, I finally did it. It was cake. The screws that hold the rotors to the hub are kinda soft, so I would recommend whacking them with a hammer to knock them loose before taking them off, or you'll strip the heads. My rotors fell right off by the way, didn't even have to tap them with a hammer.

I did the job at my brother-in-laws house where he's got all the tools needed. Impact tools, 3 1/2 ton floor jack, 3 pair of jack stands, everything you would need.
It took a c-clamp to compress the caliper, a 14mm sockect, a phillips screwdriver, a 17mm socket, a 14mm wrench, 21mm impact socket for the lug nuts, a jack stand to prop the caliper up on, some anti-sieze for all of the brake bolts, some brake parts cleaner and some high temperature grease for the backside of the rotor where it comes in contact with the hub (so the rotor doens't rust to the hub), the back side of the pads, and all surfaces that the pads slide on (don't get this stuff on the pad or rotor) to keep them from squealing.

Just be sure to clean the pads and the rotor with the cleaner before you put the pads and tire back on to remove any grease that may be on the surface.

The only problem I ran in to was the back caliper.......it was a b**** to compress. I had to cover it with an old brake pad while I compressed it to keep from damaging it.
The screws hole on the new rotor didn't line up with the hub, so I just left them out.

On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, I give this a 4.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ya know why it was so hard on the back calipers?

http://hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=45343
Old 05-16-2004, 03:55 PM

Well shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I wonder if I damaged them. They turned while I was clamping them, e-brake still works and the brakes work fine.......... I can't see any leakage either. In all the years I've done brakes on cars I've never seen sh!t like that before.