Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Front And Rear Strut Bars?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got bored today and started tinkering around on my tib and was playing around in the trunk and decided to take some measurements of the struts. i measured distances between, and the distances from each bolt to the other. i decided to turn around and do this for the front too and guess what.... they are damn near the exact same (if my measuring skills are even remotely good at all)

my question to you guys who might have a rear strut bar and front strut bar installed in your car is... could these possibly be interchangeable? i could order a front bar off the internet for 20 bucks and then just do some modding to it to beef it up... any advice or opinions on this is welcomed... i could use all the help i can get
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I had the same idea. I got one of the strut bars off ebay for the front and did the measuring and concluded that, with the correct bracket, it would work, and work well. Problem is I don't know how to weld and/or make a beefy bracket that I could use in the rear. Its definatley doable, and would cost a LOT less to do this then order the Kspec ones.

I really like my front strut bar I got off ebay. It looks flimsy at first, but it is VERY deceiving. I can grab ahold of that bar and rock the entire car! The other thing I like about it is that it adjusts to fit perfectly. The other strut bars have adjustment by utilizing a long hole to allow the bar to move, then you tighten a bolt and HOPE that it stays put. The ebay bar utilizes large threaded bolts, that once they are adjusted, there is absolutely no chance of them slipping.

So.....if you gotz the skillz, go for it! I'd like to see how you do it! Would give us all just one more option to choose from. fing02.gif
Old 04-01-2006, 08:50 PM

so you concluded that a new bracket would have to be made....... hmmmmmm

i've got the time, and the tools... no knowhow.... but hell, i may just have to try this out

what about the bar... dont ya think it would have to be flat to fit there?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

uhhhhhh, I'd say it depends on your bracket. The bar has a VERY nice curve to it. So nice that I actually got it to work with my AIRRAM, which by the way, I guess I should post some pics. I am sure there are people interested in seeing that, since no one has a Strut bar compatible with the AIRRAM yet.

Anyways, if you have one of the bars from ebay, get it back there with the side panel carpet things off and take a good look. I just did a very quick glance for about 10 min and I concluded that it would work well! That is if I had the materials, skill, and time to put it together. sad.gif laugh.gif fing02.gif
Old 04-01-2006, 09:14 PM

yes yes... i have that same exact bar on the front. i have seen your pics. well i just ordered another bar off ebay and when it gets here ill do some tinkering and see what i come up with. ill take pics and let everyone know what happens
Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've got a few spare strut bars, front type, I could give it a try if you want.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:22 PM

im gonna give it a try here... but if you wanna try it out redz, more power to ya. hopefully one of us will be able to figure something out
Old 04-02-2006, 05:12 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I think plates are angled a bit differently.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:32 PM

whats up dimitry... what do you mean the plates are angled differently? could you elaborate a bit on that for me. thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 02:01 AM

i just found this topic by searching (a lot of you kids should try that....), and i know it's old...

but i thought i'd throw this question out there....

are the rear bars the same in the RD1 as the RD2? i just found a brand new rear set up for 30 bucks off a wrecked RD1.