Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Firestone Vs Hyundai

Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Please tell me what I'm misreading here. I'm seeing discrepancies and I am not really familiar with these values. I understand what Toe, Camber and Caster are but why don't these numbers jive?

Here's the values from HMAService.com (the official Hyundai technical website) that I could come up with.

DESCRIPTION:This bulletin provides the 2001, 2002 and 2003 model year vehicle alignment specifications.Specifications provided in these charts supersede any that have been previously published.

2003 MODEL YEAR ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS CHART:

N/A = Not Applicable

NOTES:
* Angle is not adjustable
Toe-In = Positive Toe
Cross Toe = Maximum difference between LH and RH Toe
Camber-out = Positive Camber
Cross Camber = LH Camber - RH Camber
Cross Caster = LH Caster - RH Caster

Vehicle may tend to lead or drift:
  1. Towards the side with the most positive camber
  2. Towards the side with the least positive caster
CONVERSIONS:

2002 MODEL YEAR ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS CHART:

N/A = Not Applicable

NOTES:
Toe-In = Positive Toe

CONVERSIONS:

2001 MODEL YEAR ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS CHART:

N/A = Not Applicable

NOTES:
Toe-In = Positive Toe

CONVERSIONS:

Here's the values that Firestone has in the computer

am I reading wrong, or is something messed up and we need to report this as a community to Firestone to make sure that we get aligned properly?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

What are your actual specs on your car?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
DTN

I don't have them.

That's irrelevant. I have camber and toe adjustments. Those are the specs that Firestone is using to align our cars. I'd like someone who knows about alignment to review this and see if they agree that Firestone is aligning our cars wrong, because it dosn't matter if it's adjusted to Firestone specs if the Firestone specs are wrong.

Can anyone look at these values and say for sure one way or another that it's right or wrong?

If I'm reading this right, front cross camber Camber is off by a .17 offset from firestone's 0 value. which is definitely worth changing.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the front toe value. I guess it looks good

The front cross caster value looks correct.

The rear is where the problem looks to be.

The rear total toe is looking like it's off from my calculations. I'm seeing that they list -.5+.5 According to Hyundai it's supposed to be .08 to .4.

The rear cross camber is listed as + or - .5 for firestone, but hyundai says .9 + or - .5 That's a large gap.

is there a way to extrapolate the actual values from the total or cross values?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

although the angles from Firestone's printout are in degrees compared to the specs you provided from Webtech in mm (for toe), i'm sure you realized that and calculated it.

when i'm at work tomorrow, i'll take a picture w/ my phone of what our alignment machine (brand new Hunter machines) has as its specs and i'll post 'em on here
Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 PM
DTN

I'd appreciate that. This firestone machine is 6 months old. They used to use the 4 wheel position alignment, but they changed that recently and it got me started on this.

The new one uses the laser/led tower and the reflectors on each wheel instead of wheel-wheel communications.

It looks like they used generic hyundai values. The tiburon has the 1/2" shorter wheel base in the rear though so that may be the big difference.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

If I can remember, I'll do the same on our Hunter machine.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 AM

QUOTE (DTN @ Nov 20 2008, 12:33 AM)
the new one uses the laser/led tower and the reflectors on each wheel instead of wheel-wheel communications.

thats how ours is. much better equipment wink1.gif
Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
DTN

QUOTE (Sparticus @ Nov 19 2008, 11:25 PM)
although the angles from Firestone's printout are in degrees compared to the specs you provided from Webtech in mm (for toe), i'm sure you realized that and calculated it.

when i'm at work tomorrow, i'll take a picture w/ my phone of what our alignment machine (brand new Hunter machines) has as its specs and i'll post 'em on here

I called up Firestone and they said it was a Hunter machine. They also said that Hunter determines the values and they cannot change them from the computer.

Firestone said that they can manually enter values for a alignment and it wouldn't be a problem.

I went to Hyundai to buy parts and I asked if I could get the alignment specs but they said that I'd have to put my car on the rack to get them.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM

those specs that you provided are identical to the ones at Sears... also a hunter machine

not sure what you're questioning, to be honest.... but you shouldn't be too worried at all in regards to cross camber in the back. for one, its the rear. also its nonadjustable.

i tried takin a pic w/ my phone but it didn't come out very well... but like i said, they're all the same from sears to firestone

also. its kinda BS that the dealership wouldn't provide you with those numbers. it would be like them not telling you the torque of like the manifold bolts simply because they're not installing 'em.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM
DTN

Mine is adjustable, I paid the money to get an adjusment kit.

I'm also worried about the front camber as well as the rear camber and the rear toe as well. I trust the front toe value.