Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Finally getting Rims & Tires

Old 06-16-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay.

So I found a shop on eBay that has the rims I want and will ship at a fair price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

However, I still need new tires, so I found some Yokohama Avid H4 205/40/17 (w/ a Speed Rating of 130MPH (H))? I need advice on if these are good tires. They'd be $300 shipped. If I go this route then I will have rims and tires sitting at my house and I'd need to go find some shop to mount and balance and whatever, which would cost extra money...

- So sub question, what are some good well known places that do this kinda stuff, mount tires on rims that you didn't buy from them?

Also, the auction for the rims, say I need Tuner Lugs??? Umm, total newbie here so explain and tell me where I can get these cheap.

---------------
My other option is to buy the rims from the store on eBay, and then shop around at a tire store and get them to mount and balance and warranty it. I looked on DiscountTire.com and found some cheap Kumho Ecsta 711 (205/40/17) tires...these any good?

I'm leaning towards this way, so that I get the mounting and balancing and warranty along with the tires.. It's easier, but I may sacrifice on ride/performance, I dunno.

Help me out with any insight, or questions, cuz I may be unclear.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:18 AM

Yes, you will need tuner lugs for that rim. Tuner lugs can probably be purchased from any performance shop.
Most respectable shops will, mount and balance tires, even if you didn't buy from them.
Yoko H4's are ok tires, yes they are H rated.
Do more research on the tires you want, and what you are going to use them for, i.e. racing? or just everyday driving.
Also check how the tire is in the rain.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:38 AM

The only reason I can see you needing "tuner" lugs is maybe if the stock nuts are too large for the openings in the rim.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:26 AM

kspecs has some nice Jspeed lugs.......
Old 06-17-2004, 06:36 AM

check out www.wheelmax.com or www.victoriatires.com they ship for free and there wheel and tire packages are real cheap.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:57 AM

These rims are the ones I've wanted for a long time, and I can't find sotres that sell them besides the ones on eBay. I will be doing everyday driving, but I still want the performance-look for the tires, that's why I kinda want low profile. What's the max wheel height that RD2's can get at stock height?

Any word on the Kumho's?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:07 AM

Kuhmo's have been a staple of the budget tires for a long time. They are decent tires and can be had for dirt cheap.

To check tires, I like to look at www.tirerack.com. hey have good prices and a good selection of tires. There is also a good deal of information on tire quality and a fair amount of user reviews.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, do a search online and find the tires you want for as CHEAP as you can. Print up that webpage with the URL showing and take it to your local Discount Tire store or any other store that does price matching.

That's how I got mine for chizeap.

*EDIT*

Just looked at the rims, they look nice but ADR's are usually pretty heavy. And 17's? Ewww... :roll: wink.gif
Old 06-17-2004, 12:31 PM

REDZ, I know how you feel about 17's, but I have 17 inch Sub-Zero's (which are relatively light weight) and I don't have a rough ride at all. I think that 17's are as big as I would want to go on the tib, though. From what I remember, though, those ADR's are kind of heavy.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:27 PM

Well, these rims are 20lb/each which is kinda heavy I suppose, but I'm not really worried about weight at the moment - perhaps if I raced, but I got these primarily for the look.

I'm not sure what kind of tires I want. I know I need all-season and I'm pretty sure I want 205/40/17, other than that I'm looking for the cheapest I can get. The Kumho's don't look that bad, but the ride probably will be bad. My cousin recommended the Yokohama Avid H4s since he has those and he said they're real nice. I'm strapped for cash, and TireRack has the Ecsta's for only $52 (would DiscountTire match that price if I brought it in, or would they say that this price doesn't include the roadside hazard and mounting and whatever...)