Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Extremely Loud Crunching And Cracking

Old 02-21-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

I keep hearing painful "Crunching, grinding, and crackling..." sounds come from what seems to be the front passenger side wheel. Im guessing its the bearing but could it be more? I just got a new tranny put into the tib and the person who helped me with it said that, that one bearing was starting to give. that was 1700 miles ago. If its not just the bearing what else could it be? also how hard would it be for me to do the bearing alone? if i cant, how much should the bearing cost me and how much should the install cost? Im far from home(MIAMI, FL=home; Tucumcari, NM=small @$$ town im stuck in.) Any and all answers would be helpful thanx.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

LOL, bearing issues are funny, they sound SOOOOOO bad, but cost 20 bux to fix.

Do this, go to the store, any autoparts store, buy 2 new bearings, one for later just in case. If you get a nice price, it'll be 17.99. Bad is 30 bux. But get two really, its just nice to have.

Take off your whole hub assembly, use a fork to remove the knuckle and all that. Then take the whole piece, minus rotors, to the metal shop. Tell them you'll give em 20 bux to pull the old bearing and press in a new one. They'll do this. If they wont, tell em to F-off and the next shop will.

Once you get the part back, put it back on, be careful not to puncture the rubber boots on the ball joints. Then once you have it back on, go get that b!tch aligned and you're good. The whole process costs me 77 bux. Thats the part, the work, the alignment, and knowing you just saved at least 200 bux from some dumb shop to do it!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

When do you hear it? When turning? All the time? It also sounds like it may be a seized up caliper or CV joint (that is if it's not the bearing)

If you only hear it when accelerating into/out of a corner, then it's probably a CV joint.

If it was a seized caliper I think you'd know it...

If neither of those, then it's going to be the bearing, do exactly what blacktibs said. And I'd replace both sides while you're at it.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Quick painless test...

Jack up the front of the car. Enough for about 6 inches or so beneath the wheel. Take one hand at the bottom of the wheel, and one hand at the top, and try to rock it towards you. A good bearing will not move out at all. A bad bearing will wobble.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 AM

Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon fx

well they just about covered it.. i was gonna suggest the cv shaft.. when my bearing was going it was just an annoying hum but the cv makes clanking noises just in my experience
Old 02-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX

considering im on a time constraint and in the middle of no where. 31 for bearings 20 for shipment 35 for pressing and 75 for assembly removal. thats 161 + tax... imma cry. i dont think ill make it to SF cali if you include gas... i should have the tools to get the assembly off if someone would be nice enough to hook me up n explain/ show me how.

also you hear it whenever the wheel moves
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Hope you get there. Should have called me.

I know you worked with Faith on this some, but seriously, doode, we could have helped ya out earlier.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I tolf Faithofadragon you could use my front hub(s) and just ship them back once you were at San Fran...

what happened? You get everything worked out?
175 miles on a sploded bearing is notta good.