Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Eibach handling

Old 09-10-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib

KayJai, I saw in the other thread you finally got to autocross your tib with the Eibach setup. I expected improvment but you seem very excited. Mind giving us a full review?

Body roll, nose dive under braking, less understeer, how much, turn in improvements, left/right transitions? One of my main interests is the throttle/brake transitions. Throttle lift oversteer? Braking understeer? Brake to throttle in corners. Left foot braking response.

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm very interested because the Eibach suspension is at the top of my list for purchases.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:17 PM

For sure! smile.gif

I'm registered for this sunday, I hope I can make it.

I have already did some "testing" wink1.gif in non AutoX events wink1.gif

Anyway, from what I can tell you know. IT WILL OVERSTEER!!! And I can bring the backend around with a blip more of the gas pedal. Going into a corner, you have to setup, and APEX it OR ELSE YOU WILL CURB IT. Before, you can come in sharp, on the inside and just let the back end drag back out, on higher speed corners, but if you do that now, you will run into the curb. I find setting up by dnshifting into 3rd will brake the car enough to let you just flow around the corner(40kph or so). If you need to brake more, just stab the brake quick. Then go, and feather the gas as you drive through the corner, so the backend stays down more than if you were just diving, by just braking and coasting through the corner... it's a fine line in the balance between swinging the back end around and keeping your line.

Lane transistion rocks!
making quick lane changes is simple, and it settles to level plain, way quicker!

The above is mainly due the sway bars,... when the car wants to lift more, the sway bars keep it settled, letting more tire surface stay on the ground.
laugh.gif
But unfortunatly my 15" kumhos will probably only last one more season after this year. Then I'll probably have to get some new rubber. I've calmed down a little now smile.gif First month I got the suspension in, I was "learning" the new setup and didn't slow down much for the corners wink1.gif learning where and when I can give it a little blip for some fun laugh.gif
Old 09-10-2003, 08:01 PM

Woohoo! Improved lane transition. smile.gif How early were your steering inputs for a slalom? E.g. with stock suspension I make my inputs nearly a full cone ahead in a 60-70 foot spacing slalom.

Cornering: The way you explain it, the car's handling is more true neutral, and over/understeer is easily controlled through throttle and brake inputs. Am I understanding right?

Hehe, setting up and hitting apexes ... sounds like autocross to me. smile.gif
Old 09-10-2003, 11:01 PM

I'll let you know about the slalom situation this weekend if I can make it.
But yeah, that's sounds about right for setting up,... I was doing that last year. No where in the slalom should you be going staight, constant turns, setup as you finish one. Still gonna be my plan of attack this year, until I can figure it out. I'm still a rookie at the AutoX thing. Just started last year, and this year, just no friggin time.

Oh yeah, when I say oversteer, I mean oversteer smile.gif

There's this nice country road; paved, blacktop actually, lotsa turns, ups and downs too, follows the side of a river, it's like 1/2 hour or so outta the city. Anyway, we took this road lots last summer, me, with just strut bars (front and rear) the Tib handling pretty much to stock, so you start on the inside and then let it just drag its rear end out, and you're good. Well about a week after I had the suspension this year, we went back, and there's this corner / curve that just keeps turning, and the circumference(spelling?) just keeps getting tighter and tighter, and you're still accelerating, we call it C121 (if you want Initial D, you'll know)
Anyway I almost wiped out,... TWICE during this corner this year! I didn't setup or try to apex it, I just did it like I did last year, and started in tight and figure it would just come back out like before, NOPEl, you guess it, OVER STEER! So I started to go sideways for about 2 secs, so I let off the gas and countersteered, then I went back into turning,... and AGAIN, slide for about 2 secs,... my heart was pounding HARD! So I let off and just slow right the hell down. Lesson learnt.
Cuz, One of the guys slide it completely sideways on this same corner last year with his Tib, same setup as I had, just F+R strut bars, and he was following me at the time too. I just saw alot of smoke in my rear view, we actually have it on video. 2 of our guys just snucked by him, and was able to avoid. But his LF tire had this nice bald patch on the edge,....
But he was ok.

I gone back, but haven't been driving as fast as I did last year or that night,... still a little weary. :roll: If I get new rubber, I'll be doing the speeds I did last year.

smile.gif

OH yeah, when I say it follows the river, IT FOLLOWS THE SIDE OF THE RIVER, on one side it's farm houses and such, and the other,... THE WATER, about only 35 feet away,... it's hairy when you lose it slightly! smile.gif
Old 09-11-2003, 05:08 PM

Stock I have always found the tib to be rather tail happy, I can easily coax the rear of my tib out by feathering off the gas into a corner (lift throttle oversteer to the non laymen) and then bring it back in with the throttle.. I am not exactly sure I like the extreme antics of your setup..
Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 PM

Yeah, Stock setup is like that,...
I HATED IT
I felt like I was on the verge and the DIVING! I hated it.

I much prefer the new stiffer setup.
laugh.gif

I'd never go back!
I drove a Stock 2001 Tib about a month back and Holy crap it felt EXTREMELY loose! Almost lost it a few times smile.gif Tried to drive it like I was used to mine tongue.gif
Old 09-12-2003, 06:01 AM

The diving I could do without. When I first got my car I had a couple of friends in it and one of them commented, wondering if my car was really a shark or a dolphin for the way the nose rose and fell with each gas and brake input.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:06 PM

my car must be different than you guys then, cuz I have to really work at getting the back end to come around.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:25 PM

I will admit that it got a lot harder to do once I went with the Paradas... now the car just seems to STICK. I cannot wait until I start to tinker with the suspension. Stress bars first though.