Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Ebc Greenstuff + Thinner Spacers = More Shakey

Old 09-15-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after suffering horrible grinding noises for two days, I finally got my pads switched to EBC Greenstuff.

The steering now vibrates excessively at speeds above 55mph.

I have 17 inch Roja LT5 rims that did this earlier because of a bad static balancing job. But since then, they have been balanced on the inner and outer parts of the wheels and the car behaved well till two days ago, when I went from 10mm spacers to 6mm spacers and it started again.

Now the car vibrates during driving and when I brake with the new pads, it vibrates EVEN MORE!!

What could be wrong? Could it need re-balancing?

I get new rotors in a few days due to the worn pad (only metal left) destroying the inner side of one rotor.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 AM

you installed new brakes pads on damaged rotors?

thats your problem...

I would stop driving your car. Your rotors are probably warped.. if so... the more you drive your car, the more those new pads will mess up and the more likely you are to warp your new rotors...

You NEVER EVER EVER install new pads on damaged rotors..

Its like changing the oil on a blown engine...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 AM

As Jaws said, your problems have nothing to do with your new pads, your problem is a severly warped rotor (hence the vib when braking) and/or your spacers/rims are not properly installed. You have to check: Are your spacers hubcentric? If they are, do they have the hubcentric ring so that the rim fits there properly? Is your rim hubcentric (if not do you have hubcentric rings installed)?
I think you have two different problems concurring... but do as Jaws recommended and DO NOT drive your car with a severly warped rotor, and also stop damaging your new pads by making them work on a warped rotor.

BTW, Greenstuffs (and any other non OEM pad I think) tend to warp OEM rotors in a short time, so if you are replacing your damaged rotors, don't do it with OEM units, they won't last long with Greenstuffs (and I mean 2~3 months tops)
Old 09-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Point taken. Keep in mind that my 10mm spacers didn't cause ANY problems when the tires were dynamically balanced. Drove 1000 miles with no vibration at all. The thinner spacers + warped rotor must be doing it.

New Rotors are on their way to me. They are drilled Rotorpros. Hopefully, they'll do the job well enough.

Im hoping the wear-in material on the pads will protect them till the rotors get here. I can't not drive the car as I have no other way of going to work.

Spacers are lugcentric. Im not sure where to get a 6-7mm hubcentric spacer for our cars. H&R's spacer is 5mm which is too thin.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:54 AM

If your spacers are lugcentric, you are putting force on the lugs, which in our cars are not designed to do that, and you can suffer an accident. Please get hubcentric spacers ASAP and STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR LIKE THAT!
Can´t you rent something? It will be cheaper than to destroy your car!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Screwdriver @ Sep 15 2005, 09:31 AM)
Im hoping the wear-in material on the pads will protect them till the rotors get here. I can't not drive the car as I have no other way of going to work.

keep in mind... everytime you brake.. your new pads wear and take shape of the rotor...

Even slight damage to a pad can cause damage to a brand new rotor.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Just ordered H&R Hubcentric Spacers - 5mm.

Hopefully, it will fit.

Best I can do is drive slow and brake easy till the new rotors get here 02.gif

Aviv
Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I would suggest resurfacing the brake pads once you have the new rotors. Get this done professionally so that they are FLAT, not sanded by yourself because they won't be flat.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

im 97% sure your problem is with the lug-centric spacers.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Just installed the H&R Trak+ Spacers. Very well made and built in Germany.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

These things are nearly like stock. No vibration. No Shaking. Nothing.

Very nice. I have pictures of the two kinds of spacers side by side which I'll post later.