Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Drum & Captive replacements

Old 02-26-2003, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum & Captive replacements

Hey all,
I am interested in finally getting rid of my drum rear brakes and the captive rotors in the front.

Originally I was considering getting the big-brake kit from SR, but I'd like to do the conversions one at a time to minimize mistakes (and with some luck, save me money).

What parts do I need from the wrecking yard?

Is 1999 and later when captives were discontinued? I'm not interested in moving up to the 5 hub wheels (I searched on the old threads and noticed that came up a couple of times).

Thanks for any and all advice.

ac
Old 02-27-2003, 01:06 AM

Okay, I called around and it seems for the rears, anyway, that I need a Read Independent Suspension Assembly (that's how the search engines list it).

A local salvage place had the disc versions off a 1998 Tib with only 6000 miles. $300 for both (left and right), and I think it will come with a strut and spring as well.

Is this a good price, or should I keep shopping?

thanks,
AC
Old 02-27-2003, 03:12 AM

Hmmmm, i was thinking of doing this myself one day but $300.00 seems waaay too much, espcially if it's from a junk yard.

When you did a "search" what key word did you use? Why not compare the rear suspension setups (for drum vs. rotor/calip.) at the webtech site? LinkyThat should give you all the info. you need in order to do swap successfully. I don't think you need a whole new back end (suspension wise). I don't believe that Hyundai (or any manufacturer in most cases)would design two different rear suspensions to accomodate a rear drum setup and then discs. Just wouldn't be cost effective. But then again i've never done a drum to disc conversion on any Hyundai so who knows. I think every car should have all wheel discs. tongue.gif
Old 02-27-2003, 03:27 AM

I think the main problem is that most won't split up the unit if it's all good.

I had the same problem when shopping for an intake manifold and throttle body. No shop wanted to split up the engine parts, they wanted to sell the engine together. Eventually, I found a place in Washington state that had a wreck with a cracked block, so they were selling the engine piece by piece.

I did some more research as well and it seems that the price does not include calipers. Those go for $50 a piece. So total would be $400 for disc brakes on the back. Oh, and that was from the cheapest place in the DC,VA,MD area.

My other problem is that I'm getting some weird noise from my back tires, so I'm thinking the bearing or drums are getting worn. Since a new bearing is $80 anyways, maybe $400 isn't so bad. I'll keep looking.

oh, and webtech is great. I check it out before every mod. Unfortunately, they show the captive rotor picture for all models up 'till 2001, even though the 99's on don't have them. I'm sure that's not the only discrepency there.

thanks for the input,
ac

btw, where is colonial heights? Richmond area?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:06 AM

You said it was a 98 Tib? You need a 99 or later model.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:20 PM

From what I've read, the rears were non-captive all the time. It was the fronts that switched with the 1999 model.

Having not actually seen the part yet, I don't know for sure.

I'm waiting to hear from Shark Racing about the big brake kit. If that falls through or ends up being too expensive, then I will start shopping for front replacements (1999 and newer).

ac
Old 02-27-2003, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

umm, my 2000 Tib has captive rotors on the front.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

1997 and 1998 are the only years for captive rotors. so 1999+ and you are good

$300 is a good price if they are including basically the entire rear suspension, calipers, bearings, rotors, etc..etc..

For the fronts, SR sells the brake kit with the parts to do the captive to non-captive conversion, or just steal the hub assembly off a 1999+ tibby/elantra.

Blue2000-
You don't have captive rotors. Those 2 screws are just there to hold the rotor on during assembly, they can be removed. If you had captive rotors, you'd have 4 large bolts/nuts inbetween the lugs studs.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:06 AM

problem is that it does not include the calipers. They are $50 each. I may ask if they'll cut me a deal for everything.

at $300, it seems worth it to get rid of the drums. at $400, I'm thinking I can live with it. I'll also price the hub assembly from the same place and see what kind of deal they'll make.

thanks,
ac
Old 02-28-2003, 04:15 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

now, don't I feel stupid.