Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Damn Chiltons Manual... Need Help Now.

Old 07-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'm pretty touchy when it comes to maintenance,, unfortunatly i'm not a good mechanic. So i have to rely on instructions with pictures.
The CHiltons manual saids that my Rear WHeel bearings are not sealed and so I needed to grease them periodically. So I went to the Self Serve AUto Hobby shop took the air gun unbolted the wheel nuts, took the 2 caliper bolts out and took out the big nut int the middle(don't know whats it called). THere was not a cottter pin or anything like the manual stated.. but there was a crease. I popped the crease out and it was a snap to take out the bolt.

I took out my fresh valvoline wheel bearing grease and held the wheel bearing holder and the wheel bearing on the inside.. trying to find out how to pop it out.... but the employee there said that it was sealed bearings.

so after all that.. i had trouble putting in the big nut in the middle..i looked at the threads on the nut and the spindle and the spindles threads was messed up bad. So i tried my best to put the nut in , the air gun was having a tough time. It took 15 minutes with the air gun on full blast to thread it in. after i assembled it I had shaken the wheel and it had very little play on it. and now i'm worried about it. I took a test drive going 65 MPH and I felt no vibration. I'm afraid in the long wrong something is going to go bad.... any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:54 PM

it sounds like you have disk brakes in the back. what you were trying to do is for drum brakes. i had to do it like a month ago. i could be wrong though.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Rear wheel bearing are not pressed, only the front ones are.

If you have no shaking and you did before, then obviously you fixed the problem. If it shakes again I would worry, but otherwise sounds like you did good. fing02.gif
Old 08-01-2005, 06:28 AM

QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Jul 31 2005, 08:47 PM)
so after all that.. i had trouble putting in the big nut in the middle..i looked at the threads on the nut and the spindle and the spindles threads was messed up bad. So i tried my best to put the nut in , the air gun was having a tough time. It took 15 minutes with the air gun on full blast to thread it in. after i assembled it I had shaken the wheel and it had very little play on it. and now i'm worried about it. I took a test drive going 65 MPH and I felt no vibration. I'm afraid in the long wrong something is going to go bad.... any thoughts?

That bothers me. I redid my Driver's side wheel bearing this past spring. Using hand tools, it did not take me 15 minutes to re-install the nut. I am wondering if you stripped the spindle and nut out. Chances are, it will never fall off or give you problems again, but I feel sorry for the next person who needs to work on it.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:41 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

make sure you torque that nut down and knok another crease in it. and no the rear are not pressed. it is a compleate unit. hope that helps u out
Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok ok.. now I"m very pissed off and confused (at myself). I think that crease f***ed up my thread.. i did pop when i tried to take it out.. and it still f***ed up the spindle. Now I have to install a new spindle gefeez

The car runs smooth down the road.. but now the rear brakes are shuddering during hard braking.. probably due to the play in the wheel for not listening the Spindle nut on. geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. yeah it strippeed alright.. dam i'm so mad at myself.

question

1. How do you take out the bearing from the cup ? I tried to hammer it out .. but it wouldn't fall out.

2. Any ideas on how to take the spindle out?

thanks alot!!