Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

D/s Rotors & New Pads - Rear Tires Lock Up First?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem.

I recently installed all new rotors and pads (Rotorworks drilled and slotted rotors with their posi quiet brake pads all around). I know there was a GB on this same setup a couple years back soo... I did about 3 break-in processes just for the hell of it (I know what I am doing). Now whenever I get on the brakes HARD, the rear wheels lock up instead of the fronts. I get the feeling my front brakes aren't doing as much work anymore becuase they always used to lock up first and the braking felt more stable.

So I did bleed the brakes properly in the first place but thought there could be some air in the front lines. I bled the crap out of the fronts again and still have the problem.

So I was thinking it could be because the front pads have that chamfer on each edge and the rears don't. Meaning there is less of a contact area on the front pads to rotors than usual. That sounds like a good possibility to me anyway. I was considering putting my KVR pads from the front of my other tib on there just to see what happens.

Anyway, please feel to chime in with any advice and or suggestions on GOOD pads (although I am pretty satisfied with these other than the fact that the rear is locking up, lol). I was thinking HAWK?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!! cool.gif
Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Drive around for a week, then try to lock em up good. I dont know though man, could be front calipers not doing their job, or maybe the zinc is just making things a bit screwy while it wears off the rotors where the pad touches?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

don't brake too hard on new rotors till they are smooth like mirror.

brake pads and rotors need to brake in. Drive normally for a week.

also when bleeding brakes do all 4 sides.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:08 PM

I did the appropriate break in. I also swapped over the front pads to my KVR's which are all the way across, not chamfered or slotted - so more contact area. The rear is still locking up too soon.

It seems like it MIGHT be getting better with time, but I think it is all in my head.

I suppose my only option now is to buy an adjustable proportioning vavle?

I was mainly wondering if anyone who did the GB a couple years back had the same problem?

Thanks for the input guys, any comments are appreciated. smile.gif
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

thats weird, and i dont think different pads will help. i think all of them have that chamfer on the fronts. is this on your new tib? did it have the problem before?
Old 04-29-2006, 01:16 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

how smooth are your rotors? how many miles after install?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:48 PM

I think you are looking at the problem backwards... why aren't the fronts locking up first.. I would try bleeding the brakes just to make sure you are not squeezeing air
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 AM

It has probably been about 500 miles since the install. The rotors almost have a perfect mirror finish on them like they should after this much driving, no irregular wear patterns at all. The front pads are definately flat all the way across with no slots or chamfers (I think I am going to swap them back to the ones that came with the setup because these are louder). I already bled the fronts TWICE, and both times I bled them a good amount (about 1 reservoir full for each side lol). I am still a little clueless. Could I have messed up the rear calipers by twisting them in too much? I kept twisting them even after they looked all the way in just to make sure that was as far in as they would go. I just don't see that causing this problem. Maybe it is because the front rotors have one extra set of slots and drills (the rears have 6 and the fronts have 7). Damn, this sucks. mad.gif
Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

did you use one of those tools to bleed the brakes? also are you sure it wasn't doing it before, maybe it's the proportioning valve?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM

^^^Nah, did it the old fasioned way with someone pumping the pedal for me. I was thinking of changing the proportioning vavle over to the one in my old tib with drum brakes in the rear. I would think that would send less pressure to the rear as drum brakes grip easier than disc. Is it the same part no.? I might have to do it next, and of course bleed the brakes AGAIN! sad.gif