Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Cv Shaft Questions

Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 99.9% sure I need a new CV shaft on the drivers side.

I had a 1984 Olds Cutlass years ago that had a bad CV. It clicked for months and then finally broke in my driveway.

So here are my questions.........

My Tub isn't clicking, but about 2 weeks ago it started making a sort of whining noise. I thought it was my tire, they're getting old, so I got a new tire. It made noise as soon as I left the shop.

It makes this noise all the time, it's still steers fine, stops fine, etc. She's a 2000 with 135,000 miles.

So do you guys think it's the CV?

If so, how long would you guys drive on it without feeling unsafe? (I really need to wait 2 weeks to change it, and I need to drive to work each day until then)

Any other tips or ideas?

Have any of you had to change yours yet and how did that go?

I really appreciate all of your opinions!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

It's probably a bad wheel bearing. Go to the wheel that the sound is coming from, jack it up and then try to pull and push on the wheel, if it moves it's a bad bearing and I would get it replaced soon.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:56 AM

I thought about that too. It makes the noise more when you turn towards the drivers side and the noise goes away when you turn towards the passenger side. I've already replaced the rear wheel bearing and they sounded different when they went bad. I'm going to have them checked too.

Because of the noise changing depending on where I'm turning leads me to the cv shaft.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (supry @ Aug 4 2007, 10:57 PM)
It's probably a bad wheel bearing. Go to the wheel that the sound is coming from, jack it up and then try to pull and push on the wheel, if it moves it's a bad bearing and I would get it replaced soon.

could be loose axel or suspension too.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 AM

I never thought of that, thanks!

Keep the advice coming!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Jenny, good to see you posting again. Please update your profile with a location, at least a STATE please.

Personally, from what you've written, I'd say it was your wheel bearings too.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM

I shall update!

I'm going to see if i can get my hubby to check the wheel bearings this weekend. He changed the back ones with no problems. If it's the cv shaft we're going to get someone else to do it.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 AM

On your two inner CV's (Going into the gearbox) you can feel by hand if they feel loose. If you can twist the CV more than 1 cm or 0.3937 inches side to side without the side shaft moving then it's a bit worn out. So if you have CV play of more than 2cm or 0.7874 inches in total your CV is bad.
On your outer CV's (The ones going to the wheels) - If you turn very sharp right or left you'll hear a knocking noise when they are stuffed.
Also check your tranny oil level, this also makes a strange noise leading to big tranny trouble.
I've experienced than when I go over 190km/h or 118 mph my left inner CV would pull slightly out of the tranny causing an oil leakage. I pulled out the CV and just out in a new CV spring - Problem solved

I pulled out the CV and just Put in a new CV spring - Problem solved

Replaced the CV spring - oops sorry about mistakes but things are crazy @ work!!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the advice! More things to check!