Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Cv / Axle Replacement Questions

Old 06-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

My Tiburon with 183,000 miles on it is starting to make a clicking noise on the drivers side when i am releasing the clutch while taking off from a stop and has now started clicking during the initial few seconds of me getting off the throttle and also clicks for a sec when I get back on the throttle. The sound is getting worse every day so I don't know what kinda damage I might be causing by prolonging the replacement of the Axle assembly which I believe is causing my symptoms.

Also I have noticed a fast paced vibration that gets resonated through the car that starts around 65-80mph and is really bad around 100mph. I just put new tires on the car and it was happening before the new tires so I doubt its a balancing problem. Could the bad Axle be causing this?

I plan on swapping out both Axles in the next month or so and wanted to hear any recommendations on doing this and was wondering if there was anything else that should be replaced at the same time. Like should I replace the wheel bearings even though they seem to still be in good condition?

Any input on this would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Replacing parts in good condition is a waste of money. How did you test your wheel bearings?

If the axles have notable play when you hold one end still and twist the other end, they need to be replaced but pronto. Yes a bad axle could cause vibrations but it would have to be a VERY bad axle. The absolute worst-case scenario involves you, DEAD, after you lost control of your car when very strong axleshafts are only attached at one end and dig into the highway at 109MPH.

How are you sure the axles are bad?

The vibration, is it ONLY in top gear?

I am afraid you may have a transaxle problem. When your tires were mounted, how were they balanced?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 PM

How did I test my wheel bearings? First I have no tell tale noises of a bad bearing, If I weave back and forth while driving on a smooth road I have no variation in sound between either side of the car besides the clicking sound that comes and goes. With the car jacked up there is no noticeable stiffness when rotating the tires slowly and I have installed new lower control arms and ball joints about 25,000 miles ago so when I try to shake the wheel back and forth I have no noticeable play. That's why I figure the bearings are still in good condition.

Last time I had the car jacked up the driver side axle had a very slight amount of play in it when trying to move it back and forth. Also when driving on certain freeways that have the etched lines in the concrete, the car will start swaying every so slightly and it feels like only the driver side wheel is being pulled about 1/2" to the left while the other tires stay where they belong causing the car to kinda sway back and forth a little so all I do is shake the steering wheel back and forth a bit and everything goes back to normal for a little while. I know that sounds odd but that's what it feels like. It seems as if the driver side axle is pulling out a little and that's whats worrying me. Oh I also installed new tie rod ends and upper strut mounts like 15,000 miles ago so everything connecting the wheel to the car should be in good condition besides the original axles.

As for the vibration, I will test out the difference between 4th and 5th gears next time I take the car out on the freeway and see if the vibration changes. The tranny seems fine with no other issues besides the clutch is in need of replacing.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Transmission oil seals are 5.00 a piece on rockauto
tapum in w/ a rubbet ended mallet
Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

^ that's the edited version. Wow.

anyhow . . .

Jack up one of the front corners of the car and put the transaxle in Neutral. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wiggle it pretty hard. The tire might give a little tiny bit, but the wheel shouldn't wiggle much if at all. If it really starts moving so you can notice it, and especially if it starts clunking, you need new wheel bearings, big time. Now spin the wheel by hand as fast as you can, and listen. If you can hear squeaks or grumbles, you probably need new wheel bearings. Put the palm of your hand on the wheel and rotate the wheel. If you can feel it is a bit rough when it spins, you probably need new wheel bearings. Stiffness when rotating the tires might just be drag from the inner brake pad. If you suspect brake drag might be throwing you off, temporarily pull the caliper away from the rotor for testing purposes.

Wheel bearings can get to be pretty bad. I know a guy with a 3000GT whose wheel bearing assembly literally fell apart in his hands as he removed it from the car. That right there is saved-your-life maintenance.

Are these the original bearings? You might (might, if you have the proper tools) want to check the preload.

While you're down there, yank on the axle shaft. If the shaft will pop out of the differential, you might need a new ring clip. If it pops out of the hub, you've got a problem sad.gif
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 PM

I finally got around to checking the car out today and the first thing I adjusted was the alignment since it was toed in about 1/4" on front passenger wheel. After that was complete I took it for a quick test drive and noticed the car was coasting better, so I brought it back in the garage and jacked it up like stocker said in his previous post and the driver side front wheel had no play at all when wiggling the tire and it spun fine so I climbed under it and when grabbing the axle by itself I could move it back and forth about 1/8" - 1/4" in and out. The part that connects to the hub seemed tight but I was able to wiggle the piece that mounts up against the tranny with like 1/16" play in all directions. I switched sides and the passenger wheel had no play either and that axle had a little bit of play in it but not nearly as much as the driver side did.

I then took the car out on the free way to test the vibration and was surprised with how smooth it was riding now. I barley noticed any vibration and the clicking sound seems to have diminished as well. I guess with the toe being off and new tires on the car it was enough to start vibrating the axle at high speeds.

Is the amount of play that I currently have with the axles bad enough that I should replace them now before they cause any damage or should I just leave them in and worry about it later?

thx

Old 07-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Drive it for a few days and see if you still think the noise is diminished?