Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Cut Cv Boot

Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Just look at this ridicule. Thank you Maryland! The welcome sign should read, "We hope you're just driving through"

What's wrong, is it actually broken? There's 1mm of sludgy black oil on the back of my rim. And it the rubber seal is broken from my axle. Could potholes or bumps really do this to my poor axle?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i bet its just the boot

they sell them at like autozone for 15 bux
Old 03-05-2006, 11:26 PM

you cant just replace a broken boot though.. the axle is contaminated and it will wear pretty fast if u jsut replace the boot... just go get a new axle
Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

that had nothing to do with 17 inch rims that is just wear n tear.
change the boot but clean really good and regrease before reinstalling.
if u dont fix u will here allot of noise in a few weeks especially if u make any turns.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0t

QUOTE (Viper966 @ Mar 6 2006, 01:26 AM)
you cant just replace a broken boot though.. the axle is contaminated and it will wear pretty fast if u jsut replace the boot... just go get a new axle

Exactly what he said, and after all the work of removing the hub and what not its very little more work to just change the axle. Get a reman. its just like new and 1/3 of the price.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

You can replace CV boot. You need to remove axle and remove inner CV joint from the axle, now you can slide off old one and then slide in new one, don't forget to lube it and secure it with metal things aound (donno how they named), Put inner CV joint back. That's it.

If you think it cannot be replaced, why Hyundai sells boot kits?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You COULD take it to an auto shop that does CV boots and have them do it and clean out your axle U joint/relube it, but with how old your car is and how many miles, just replace the axle. Mine cost me $70 at Napa mang, and it's VERY easy to do.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Anyone feel like editing the last half of the title? This problem has nothing to do with having 17s.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Thanks guys, I mean it wouldn't be a problem replacing the boot, hub, or axle, but I sure hate throwing money at it every few months. The problem is this is the second time this has happened to me since I swapped my rims, first axle broke from left side a few months after 17' rims, and now driver side which has been broken for about 6 months now. The two new front hubs are from a 2000 Tiburon.

Before I had my 17' rims I've never ever ever ever had any problems with the axle. Right when I had the hubs upgraded to 2000 spec (non-captive) and got my rims on, this shIt started happening. I've hit some bad pot holes and some bad bumps here in the city. There's no way of avoiding them.

Axles don't just go bad like that one after another... Like SilentSecret said, I also hear a bad noise from that corner when I make turns. When you're cruising at like 40mph and you hit something bad, the shock has nowhere to go. The roads here in D.C. suck ballz, and ever since I swapped to 17's it's been so bumpy. Shock doesn't get absorbed by the 215'40 Tire nor the suspension, so the car takes a total beating.

And if it is wear and tear, like I said, axles don't just go out one after another. They must be wearing over time because of the lack of shock absorb. You guys have to admit, we have small wheel wells, big rims should have a nice big tire to wrap around it. We virtually have rubber bands. I seriously think the axles are tearing apart over a period of a few months because they take a beating.

17' Rim + 4 months of bumps and holes = damaged axle is what I'm saying here. I mean, why didn't they break before I swapped the rims from stock is my question. It's just a big mystery because the 2000 spec hubs were practically new when I got them. Then I got a new axle fixed after the right one broke. And now this.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Your car is almost 10 years old. The CV joint boots wear with age and mileage and end up cracking. If you've been driving around with the boot cracked for six months don't waste your time replacing the boot, just get a new one.

I had 17" wheels/tires on my car for about four years with no problems. I think the problem is age not the wheels. If you replace the axles and it happens again quickly then there is a problem somewhere.