Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Constant Humming From Wheels (mayb)

Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been hearing this humming noise comming from the tires(i think), honestly its so loud i can't tell if its front or back. Its humms through turns, straightaways, accelerating/decelerating, especially bad at higher speeds. I changed both front bearings like a month ago, and i figure i'll pick up the rear bearing hub assembly soon. But is there any chance you guys think this could be some backlash in my diff? or just some serious one sided tire wear? cause they don't look to bad. I have new d/s rotors and pads, i'm gonna throw those on and see if theres any difference. Thanks for the replys
Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM

are the wheels oversized like a 17inch?
if it is the wheels maybe too wide and you need to modify your mudcards like cutting them out.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Do they get louder on turns? If they do, they could very well be your wheel bearings. I went thru this twice this year.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Holy hell wheel bearings are a b****, it took over 20 tons to press them the frig out.. AFTER heating them.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundia/Tiburon Fx

^^^ WOW!!! 33.gif It took me about 20mins and thats without air tools. I was going to do a DIY but it started raining and just wanted to get it done.... just pull off your rim,caliper, bearing dust cap then I believe it was a 24mm socket on the axle nut pull off hub and replace it. It was like $50 for the rear hub complete with bearings..then you need to tourqe it to around 150 ft lbs.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:13 PM

No they're stock wheels, 16" i believe, like i said its a constant sound, through turns and everything else. I just finished changing my rotors n pads didn't make to much of a difference in sound but it brakes nice. I don't think the new bearings i just put in could have gone bad allready, could they? I guess i'm gonna go with the rear bearings and try my luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:39 PM

The rear bearings are easy to change. They only take about 15 minutes.
The front ones suck when they are all rusted together like mine were. I couldn't get the rotor off the hub. They rust-welded together. I tried heating them up several times (glowing hot), air hammer, BFH, the rotor started to break so I just took the whole hub assem out and changed it that way. Cheap @ss steel these days. Sad thing is that I just changed these rotors not too long ago. I even added some grease around the tight spots as the dealer broke the first set of rotors to remove them, when I had them do the work for an insurance claim (bearing and tire).
Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

How are the tires?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Lol I guess pressing the bearings out isnt worth saving 20$, had no clue the hub was that friggin cheap... figures. Spent a whole damn day doing that shit... its always something