Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Confusing Clunk

Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's coming from the right front. At low speeds, whether braking or downshifting (w/o brake) a rhythmic clunk can be heard, and it's so hard to tell whether it's the front or rear. It just makes the weirdest cyclic knocking noise. The odd part is that I've checked a shitload of stuff, and it all looks fine!! I've checked wheel bearings, tie rods, strut mounts, and the ball joints are brand new. I wouldn't think it could be the cv axle, since it's not doing it when I turn. There's no pulsing from the brakes, but that's the only thing I can think of right now. Maybe a pad is flopping around, but I've checked the brakes as well, and even lubricated the slides and bushings. The clunking just won't go away!!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I've had it happen on both my tibs, the rear driver's side caliper seizes up, and when you're moving at slow speeds or brake it makes a clunk noise. Not sure if that's really your problem, but usually a clunk that comes from the front is the CV joint, but if it doesn't happen when you're turning ... hmm... You could check the caliper, but it's kind of a PITA to disassemble all that for a "maybe" fix..
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Hmm.. I am having trouble with the left rear squealing like crazy. I'll check them both, since it may have just been coincidence that it was your left rear on both cars. I would think that if there's a problem with them, it would be rear in general, and not just specifically the left rear. That's kind of odd!

What did you do to fix the problem? Was the caliper slide siezed, or was it a hydraulic/mechanical piston and bore failure?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

It was seized, I couldn't get it apart, I just ended up replacing it. I have mentioned it to several other members in the past few years, always the left rear, always an RD1.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM

It got really bad today, so I decided to do some serious invesitgation. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat and heard it under her feet, which at least gave me a better clue as to where it was. I went back to the RF wheel, and as usual, didn't find anything. I pulled the caliper off, nothing. So I pretty much just started tearing things apart in a logical order, and pulled the cv axle next. After popping the axle out, it felt like the inner joint took a dump. I popped the boot off, and found what appeared to be a creamy milkshake where grease once lived. So my guess is that it somehow took in some water and caused my inner joint to crap out on me. nutkick.gif My car hates me.