Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Which System would you install on your Tib?
Ksport Kontrol Pro
33.33%
Ksport Spec AR (Asphalt Rally)
33.33%
Megan EZ Coilover System
0%
Other (Please share your opinion!)
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Which Coilover system to buy?!?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Which Coilover system to buy?!?

Bitter sweetness right here!

Bitter: My Eibachs are sagging. B.A.D. Cant even get my tiny Honda scissor jack under the Tib anymore without almost ripping off my side skirt. So its time to spend some money.

Sweetness: I need some help spending my money! I've decided I want to go with a coilover suspension, but not sure what to buy.

I've been looking at getting some Ksports, but realize there are a number of other brands, Megan, BC, DC, among others. I'd like some feedback on what RD owners have used in the past, how they handled, AND how they lasted over the years. I'm very disappointed that these Eibachs are failing after only about 8 years. I will be sending them in to hopefully get replacements that will be unloaded on ebay when the time comes.

So......

Ksport seems to have the most options. I like that. Makes me feel they put a lot of thought in how the suspension affects different road sports.

Kontrol Pros: are most affordable

Ksport Kontrol Pro"]Ksport Kontrol Pro

Spec AR (Asphalt rally) have the ability to adjust to OEM height levels which will really come in handy come time for emissions. (colorado uses a dyno system, it sucks)

Ksport Spec AR

Megan EZ are affordable as well, just not sure of the quality.

Megan EZ

Or.... does anyone offer other advice, suggestions on what coilover system I should be looking for.

Main Goals:

Ride height not too low. Closest to OEM would be great for inspection time, 2" drop would be great at the track.

Good handling, but not too harsh

easy to adjust both dampening and height

I have a good budget for this upgrade, but also not looking to spend all of it!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I went with the Megan, but if I was to do it over I'd go with a set of Ceika triple adjustable with remote reservoirs. Also twice as expensive as the Megans.

I haven't had any road time on them yet so nothing concrete I can say there. But price-wise you cant beat it. I got my for ~$900 shipped brand new.

The ksport and DC are the exact same thing. I wasn't able to get my hands on them because apparently DC has discontinued theirs and ksport wanted 6-8 weeks to produce them. Just a heads up there.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Everyone who I know that has the Ksport Pro's love them and have no issues. However, just take it into consideration that at some point a long the line, you will have to have coil overs overhauled. Depending how you drive and how the roads are, that time frame could be anywhere from 4-8 years down the road.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:44 PM

Tibbi- Those Ceika's look sick! They are not well known though. Any idea how long they have been around and how the products hold up over time?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I say Ksport AR's. I don't know anybody with them, but they look to fit your desires. I've been happy with my second hand first gen Ksport Kontrol Pro's. Due to a design change replacing the strut cartridges is currently only $200 less than getting an entire brand new set of coilovers. Cilovers are expensive in more ways than one.

I wouldn't call raising/lowering the height easy, and you'll need to get an alignment afterwards also.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by tibbytib
Tibbi- Those Ceika's look sick! They are not well known though. Any idea how long they have been around and how the products hold up over time?
Not much info in the US market. A lot of reviews on the site from Asian countries and they seem to be well known out there. Now, I cant vouch or longevity or serviceability. For the price they damn well better have your back. Either way, it's a cool product but you'd be entrusting your money in a light gamble. Like I said, if I had known about these a while ago I would have gone that route without blinking.

If you have a credit card with warranty extension, that will help cover some of that gamble. If the company does fall off the map they'll give you the bucks to replace 'em.

It would be totally unique in the Tiburon market. Trust me, If I ever get around to building my 2nd RD or wagon, this will me my kit of choice.

Again, a gable of sorts. The known good options are much cheaper and in no danger of dropping form sight.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM

I'm getting terrible in my old age! LOL! Making these decisions is getting harder and harder. Maybe its because they are somewhat expensive decisions on a car that is now 14 years old!

I will look into the Ceikas a bit more for sure. I like being unique, but also want them to be dependable and up to the task.

Yeah, I understand that height adjustment is not the easiest. But at least it would be an option. I'd probably only adjust for inspection, so once every 2 years.

visionz, you have a good point. I'd like something nice, but knowing they will need to be serviced every 4 to 8 years makes me want to be more frugal and maybe go with a less expensive alternative. Like 187sks mentioned, he might as well just replace his set with a brand new set. I know I would if it only meant 200 bucks or less. Kind of a no brainer their if you ask me.

Damn......Will have a few more sleepless nights over this I believe! Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming if you have any other suggestions.