Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Clutchmasters Stage 1 Clutch

Old 09-24-2002, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutchmasters Stage 1 Clutch

Well, after examining what people were saying about different manufacturers, and puttering along on my existing stock clutch for way too long, I got my hands on a Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch. Order it from Nopi Online. Got here in about 2 days, so I can't complain about the wait. What I can complain about, however, is the lack of places in San Diego willing to do the job. Most of the aftermarket shops wouldn't even touch the job, let alone give me a price quote. Finally found a place in Clairemont Mesa (That's in San Diego, CA for those not in the know) that specializes in transmissions. So for about $270, they'll pop out the old clutch, resurface my flywheel, and stick in the new clutch. Can't wait for tommorow. I'll let you guys know the prognosis.

[ September 25, 2002, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Kidd Supreme ]
Old 09-24-2002, 01:21 PM

Is the CM stage one "better" than the KOmpetREs Stage 2 clutch? Is a NEW flywheel required when doing a clutch swap into either of the above?
Old 09-24-2002, 07:34 PM

Well from what I understand (please don't take my word for gospel, I'm only venturing my best guess) unless you have a damaged flywheel, getting a new clutch does not require a new flywheel. It does, however, require that the existing flywheel be resurfaced so that the new clutch can adhere to it properly. You could also, at this time, swap out the flywheel with a lightened flywheel (think Fizanda *sic*). By adding the lightened flywheel, you cut down on rotational mass, which in turn allows your engine to get to higher rpms faster. As Random noted a while ago though, this is a two way street. While you will get through the rpm faster, when you shift, the rpms will drop as quickly.

As far as knowing which clutch is comparable to another clutch, and which one is the best, I honestly couldn't tell you. I did a search on the message board, and read about people who did some research on the topic, and their thoughts. I almost got a Kore clutch. The only reason I didn't was because they didn't give me a clear indication on holding power. When I went with Clutchmasters, it stated on their website (70% over stock). Doing some rough math, the clutch should be able to handle a hair under 240 hp, which is way more than I'm putting down now. Great thing about the clutch as well is, lets say I end up with a turbo kit like Alpine's (just as an example). If I remember correctly, one of the users on the board was able to put down 225 with the kit, which isn't bad at all. I'll still be able to use this existing clutch. Granted, if I ever go over that, new clutch time, but it does give you that breathing room. Didn't mean to ramble on for too long. Hope this helps.

[ September 25, 2002, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: Kidd Supreme ]
Old 09-24-2002, 08:09 PM

its probably better u got the clutchmasters, because i ordered the kore stage 2 and its been over two weeks and i still dont have it yet. and i was told 5 days, my ass!! i also have the fidenza flywheel, i cant wait to put that bad boy on. i feel like its over kill since i have nothing done to the engine, but o-well. itll make it run happier, or at least thats what im telling my self.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:00 PM

Kidd Supreme and xXxchild....thanks. I think CM will be my route. Anyone have a link for the flywheel? Just so I can see the price's...I'm guesing that the CM stage1 clutch was around $350.00ish right? And the etimated install cost would be around 200-300 give or take a few.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2002, 11:23 PM

when you get a new clutch you have to resurface the fly wheel.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:21 AM

Shouldn't this thread be on the Engine Forum?????
This is not Braking/Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Old 09-25-2002, 05:43 AM

if you want to get the flodenza cheap, e-mail this guy and he will hook you up. his name is rob and he is a really nice guy. i think the flywheel will come out to like $350, which is cheap if you search. heres his email. no_limit_enterprises@yahoo.com
Old 09-25-2002, 05:49 AM

Well, i'll tell you guys first hand, the CM STAGE 1 is worth the money. I've had mine on for 11,000 miles and it's still strong and i'm no granny shifter either! tongue.gif I wish i had known about the Fidanza flywheel as i would've installed that beast on my 1.8l too. Oh well, too bad really 'cause right now if i buy ANYTHING for my car i mean like an airfreshener, i'll get chewed out by my girlfriend. She doesn't think i spend enough $$$ on her or i should say, i spend most of it on my other hunny (hehe hey what can i say, even though she's high milage i rev her up day and night and she doesn't complain!)
Old 09-25-2002, 09:59 AM

dump the g/f, spend it on the car. g/f sounds to greedy.