Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Calipers Are Stuck

Old 05-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my calipers are constantly applying pressure to the rotor. its not full pressure as if i was pushing the brake in but it is always rubbing. is there anything i can do to fix this or do i have to buy new calipers? any help would be great and sorry if i didnt put a good enough description of the problem but if you have any more questions just let me know. thanks
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 AM

might not be your calipers.. could be your brake lines. If the rubber flexible lines have fallen apart inside (which they do over time) they can trap enough fluid at the caliper to keep the pads in constant contact with the rotor.

Other thoughts are warped rotors and siezed guide pins. The first is obvious.. but if the pins are frozen to the caliper mount.. the caliper cannot shift in and out as the piston moves.

A small amount of drag is ok... but the rotor should still be able to be turned easily by hand.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ didnt understamd that at all. pads are in contact with rotors at all times. normal.

QUOTE (Phenomenal_Thunder @ May 6 2006, 07:18 PM)
it is always rubbing.

normal.

you havent told us a problem yet. pads always rub rotors on all cars all the time
Old 05-07-2006, 01:33 AM

its not just a rubbing, its an awful grinding sound that occurs at all times not just when i press the brake in.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Adjust your rear brakes under the panel at the bottom of the console stuff holder under the lid.

You need to do this when changing brakes also.

O... just read that last post.... It sounds like your brake pads need to be replaced. Change them out and don't skimp or you will be sorry.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:25 AM

You shouldn't need to adjust the parking brake cables.. the rear calipers are self adjusting (as long as you use the handbrake on a normal basis)

But yes, DTN brought up a good point.. how much meat is left on your pads?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

front of rear?

if you jack up that wheel and turn it by hand fast, is it turning freely or stops fast?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:06 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ May 7 2006, 09:25 AM)
You shouldn't need to adjust the parking brake cables.. the rear calipers are self adjusting (as long as you use the handbrake on a normal basis)

But yes, DTN brought up a good point.. how much meat is left on your pads?

the self adjustment is left/right bias. There is a physical tensioner on the brake cable under the console. Webtech says that the self adjusting mechansim will not function correctly if the tensioner is not adjusted correctly.