Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

brake question(s)

Old 06-16-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys...

got a question about my brakes/pads. see about a week ago i got my brake pads replaced by a local shop (yea didnt have time to do it myself... been working about seven days a week and when i get time off i'd rather just sleep) well i've noticed that now i have this nice rubbing sound... not a squeaking sound... but a rubbing type sound... (like rubbing your hands together) coming from my brakes, well i dont know what to do... i think im gonna take it back to the shop but first i thought i'd ask you guys to see if any of you have had a similar problem... thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 10:22 PM

What kinda pads did they use?
Did the pads come with the hard ware?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:42 PM

pads.... i bought them from o'reillys.... just the stock replacement pads...

hardware??? haha im not a brake man dude... i dunno what you are talkin about
Old 06-17-2004, 12:24 AM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

I think kayjai is refering to the shims. If the shims aren't put in the right way, the calliper won't squeeze the pads onto the disc properly and that can cause some strange noises.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I have a funny sound coming from my wheels, but I think it is a wheel bearing instead. It's a kind of rubbing sound as you described.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:47 PM

ohh crap dont be sayin that man.... i really dont need that kind of repair now... it gets louder when i hit the brakes, so im guessing it has to do with the brakes themselves or the pads alone.... I dont know and its driving me crazy
Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 PM

QUOTE (col96fx)
I think kayjai is refering to the shims. If the shims aren't put in the right way, the calliper won't squeeze the pads onto the disc properly and that can cause some strange noises.

Ditto,
Take it back and ask them to check.
You *COULD* use your old hardware if they didn't throw them out,... but it might need to be modified to fit non OEM pads
Old 06-17-2004, 11:19 PM

sooo take it back... will do boys... you guys guess its the shims that werent put in correctly... ok........ well these guys better figure it out or im gonna be one pissed off lil boy.... they didnt tighten my right front wheel down very hard either.... it was loose the day after they put the pads on
Old 06-18-2004, 06:03 AM

you CAN run without shims. I am. When I went with the EBC green stuff pads, I had to remove the shims to even get them to fit between the caliper and the rotor...and that rotor had just been turned down some too.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:06 AM

aah.... that could work also..... im taking it up there today hopefully if it quits raining. These guys are really cool but i figure this is probably the first hyundai they've worked on... i have like one of the three hyundai's in the whole damn town