Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Brake noise!!! Help Cheryl!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 Tibby FX named Cheryl.... unfortunately Cheryl has been making a terrible noise when i hit the brakes. It makes a crunch squeek crunch squeek crunch squeek crunch noise. The dealer changed the brake pads twice changed the brake shimmies, lubed everything more than 5 times. When it goes to the dealer to get lubed and fixed the brake noise goes away for about 3 days then comes back. Initially the dealer told me they didn't know why the car was making that sound when the brakes were applied. The last time I got the brake components oiled ( the 5th time) The brakes made the same noise immediately after I left the dealer. I returned the car and the dealer told me I would need new rotors.... I don't know if the dealer is correct or if they are just assuming that the 2 front rotors need to be replaced. Does anyone know if the rotors could be causing the noise? also if it is the rotors can i replace them myself or is it a hard job? Also the dealer said they couldn't shave the rotors because mine was beyond the minimal shaving thickness. I also got new front calipers with new sliders and everything so I don't know what could be causing that noise!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Brake noise!!! Help Cheryl!!!

rotors are probably the most easiest part to replace. being a 97fx you should have captive rotors if i am not mistaken. no matter, still easy to replace and you would save money doing it yourself.

there are a few companies that make rotors for tibs. i know e-bay has brand new drilled and slotted front rotors for $99 and regular rotors even cheaper.

here is everything i could find for tiburons on e-bay

http://search.ebaymotors.com/search/search...rch=&category0=

as for the crunch noise, is it like a grinding crunch or a popping crunch? sounds like something may be loose. if they are lubing up the calipers and all, are they torquing them back to spec?

if the brake pads are new and you know it is not them then i would check into new rotors especially if they are worn as bad as they say they are.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:54 PM

Hey thanks for the help. I will replace the rotors. The noise is a grinding crunch noise and 2 hyundai technician took a look at it a total of 5 times. They first told me the noise was from cracked pads and replaced them for free. but the noise came back. Then they just told me they don't know what else is wrong. Then on the last visit they suggested rotors. What is the difference between captive rotors and normal ones? Are they much harder to take apart? Any more clues of what could be making that noise?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

captive rotors are held on by screws that appear on the front of the rotor. i think.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Captive rotors actually compose part of the wheel hub and are between the inner and outer sections of the wheel hub.

Remove/replace of the captive rotor entails complete removal of the wheel hub from the car, separation of the halves
including the wheel bearings, and then pressing the whole thing back together again. Additionally, the spindle end nut
that holds the whole assembly together requires something like 180 lb/ft of torque. The tools and techniques required
to change a captive rotor correctly are extensive. This is not an "easy" process. My suggestion is this:
1) take it to a brake shop and ask them to measure the rotors and see if they need to be replaced or the dealer is just
bullshitting to get your $800 in labor fees
2) if they do need to be replaced, have a professional do it and replace your front wheel bearings at the same time
3) Be prepared to spend $800-1000
Old 11-06-2003, 02:52 PM

Holy crap!!! 800 dollars in labor!! how long can replacing 2 front rotors take??? is there anyway i could swap non-captive rotors on? wow that is so much money for just labor. This captive rotor thing blows why would hyundai ever put on rotors that require so much work to take off? are non captive rotors easy to replace? There is no way i could take the rotors off with wrenchs and simple hand tools?? I really don't feel like spending 800 bucks on 2 rotors... evil.gif
Old 11-06-2003, 03:51 PM

Whoever said that it costs $800 in labour to replace captive rotors is full of sh!t. I had mine replaced and it was like $60 for the labour. You just need to go to a brake shop that has a press. While it isn't something you can do at home, it isn't that big of a deal.

A while back, one of my front calipers seized. I think the cost for the caliper replacement, rotor replacement and new pads was under $250.

Unfortunately, the pads I got were crap, and over last winter, I ended up wearing the pads on the front brakes down to where I was metal on metal without realizing it. DOH!

So when the spring hit and I changed back to my summer tires and rims, I purchased some KVR pads and cross-drilled rotors (wanted slotted, but the guys screwed up the order and I didn't want to wait for them). They work very well and seem to be holding up fine.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:50 PM

Just a quick note. It is VERY Common on the Tibby's and elantra's brakes for them to be very noisy when cold. Hyundai uses semi-metalic brake pads, and they make a god-aweful racket at low speed, untill they get warmed up.
If the noise is not "felt" through the brake pedal, the steering wheel, or floor of the car, don't worry about it. If you CAN feel the "vibration" associated with the noise, does it get worse or better once the brake pads are warmed up. (do 5 60-0 fast stops in a row). If the noise goes away when warm, you know it's not anything to worry about. If the noise gets WORSE or vibration get's WORSE, then yeah, something's wrong, and it sounds like the rotors (since the dealer replaced the pads multiple times).

When you take your car back to the dealer this time, go straight to the service manger. Show the Manager your reciepts. Explain that this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Offer to pay for the rotor cost, but NOT the labor. The labor should be paid for by the dealership for screwing up the repair so many times. Also ask the service manger to PERSONALLY test drive your car before repairs start, so you can point out the noise. Then ask the service manager to test drive your car personally once repairs are finished, so he can guarantee you that the repairs are completed properly.

You shouldn't have to waste your time and money at a dealership this incompetent. If the service manager refuses your offer, or gives attitude about giving his personal guarantee. Just agree, and don't leave your car with them. Go home (or work) can call the Hyundai 1-800 customer serivce line and ask to talk to a regional service manager about your problem, and the A-hole at your dealership, the horrible customer service, and the poor workmanship of the mechanics. Trust me...they get rated on this stuff. You can make life more hell for them thank you know.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

Should it cost $800? no, but this dealership doesn't sound particular honest to start with.

$60 would be very cheap for the amount of work involved.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 PM

Hey thanks for all the advice... I will follow through with the dealer and see what they say... I plan on getting rotors and pads of ebay.com they have slotted and drilled zinc coated front rotors for less than 100 bucks for 2! really great deal and cheaper than the OEM and probably better. If anyone has gotten them already can you tell if they are anygood? thanks again