Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Brake dust on the inside of rims

Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tibby
Default Brake dust on the inside of rims

Hey everyone! Whats the easiest way to clean off brake dust on the inside of rims without actually removing them from the car to clean? Usually on the outside I just spray soap or cleaner and wipe down and then hose off with water. But its alot harder cleaning the inside since I cant get my hand all the way in through the spokes. Is there a good cleaner or something that I can spray and hose off without any wiping at all?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

You can try to find a brush at autozone that will fit between the spokes. Taking the wheel off is best to get them spotless, but I don't want to take them off everytime either.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

nice to have friends with lifts that will let you lift the car so you can get underneath it to clean the rims. napa guy next door to me lets me throw the mazda6 or my tib on his lift whenever he has a open bay.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

A strong acid based wheel cleaner will melt that stuff off then you just rinse. I supply a chemical to an Infiniti dealer in San Rafael but its not available to the general public. There should be something simular available at an auto store. Read the directions cause the stuff I supply for infiniti is strong enough to etch bare aluminum, safe on chrome and painted rims that are clear coated.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i use purple power i get from oreilly's. just a heavy degreaser that works on other things. the one great thing i have found it works on is that damn sticky tape from stick on wheel weights.