Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Best Winter/as Sport Tire?

Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

With a harsh winter being forcasted, unfortunately my Tiburon is going to be out in it again. I'm going to take this car with me wherever I need to go whenever so I'm trying to prepare it for the season. I'm trying to switch the front tires only from summer Kumho MX's to All Season/Winter tires that will fit 215/40/17 rims. Yes, the rims are going to be out there in the piercing cold as well. I think it's best to share with each other some experiences and pricing for decent tires that will be durable, grippy, good looking (always a factor), and enjoyable for the winter that will wrap and protect our rims neatly.

Any ideas? I would like to stick with Kumho, but if the price is right I will really buy anything that will do the job. I was thinking of anything under $100. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:14 PM

I am running Perilli P zero Nero M&S... GREAT tire. Plenty sticky in dry and snow... I think they ran me around $90 in a 205/45/16 size
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 PM

I can't tell you which will be good, but I can tell you that the Falken Zeix 512 (205-40-17) are TERRIBLE in snow. I put on my 17"s too early 2 years ago, and we had a blizzard. I lived on top of a hill at the time, and a 5 minute drive took 20 minutes of spinning wheels. I really didn't think I'd make it to the top, but after a few cars passed me due to my slowness, and some patience, I made it. They're advertised as all season/weather, but they SUCK in snow. Avoid em.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

when looking for the "best" All-Season tire, it will prolly be a non-directional tire. Although directional tires are great in the rain, the same isn't true for snow. what you wanna look for is a soft(er) rubber.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Get a set of pirelli wintercarving. Very good winter tire that rides like a summer tire. Up here (Qc, canada), we have real winters so if it's good here, it should do the job for you.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I recommend you to change all 4 tires.

If you change only front tires - it could be dangerous, cause you will have oversteer. And rear wheels will always try to go on outer radius of the turn.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:44 AM

well for the tiburon and sonata I have a set of KUMHO's KW17? I believe, well it's something w17. I have no problems with it at all, but mind you since i am in the west coast our winters normally consist of Rain, Rain, Rain and maybe like 5 cm of snow the whole winter.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:43 PM

try kumho asx..i installed a few sets of them when i worked at a tire company and everyone said they were great in the snow, rain and dry
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have the ASX's and I live in Minnesota. Lotsa snow driving and I thought they did the job well. IMO they look good too! They were on stockers tho, i dont know how much of a difference it would make on 17s as far as snow handeling
Old 10-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

thank you everyone for all of your help!!! with your help, i've narrowed it down to the Pirelli P Zero's or the ASX's. I hope they do wonders! It's said a harsh winter is expected.

same with me though, i slammed my shiny rims into a curb last year on my 205 17's and it was as if the car was on ice. i couldn't go up ANY hills.

the tires definitely reflect where in the U.S. (or world) you live. the only reason i got Kumho MX's was because Maryland is nothing but pavement. and the Kumho's are decent in the rain on pavement. I forgot to think of the snow conditions. and we do get slammed pretty hard. after every snowfall and piercing cold temperatures, all the roads get tons of potholes from the termp change and unleveled sliding earth underneath (maryland is very hilly believe it or not) so all season high performance is the way to go.

Thank you very much, again. smile.gif