Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Ball Joint Question

Old 10-04-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 tiburon
Default Ball Joint Question

My ball joints have 150,000 miles on them. They are not loose and there's no play in them but would it be a good idea to replace them with that much mileage on them? I would do it myself so it wouldnt be too expensive.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I've replaced one wheel bearing and zero ball joints, and there are over 200k miles on this car. If a part is good, the only reason to replace it is practice, or maybe if you have money you don't know what else to do with. If they're working fine, leave them.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Don't mess with them unless you have to.

The ball joints are a PITA and I'm willing to bet your lower control arm are rusted to hell. A decent control arm will come with ball joints installed and save a major headache. I'm in a salt-free state and my control arms still rusted and bent long before the ball joints would have given up.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Don't mess with them unless you have to.

The ball joints are a PITA and I'm willing to bet your lower control arm are rusted to hell. A decent control arm will come with ball joints installed and save a major headache. I'm in a salt-free state and my control arms still rusted and bent long before the ball joints would have given up.
I just changed my original ball joints. It was pretty easy. But then again my control arms aren't rusted.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have changed out my ball joints a few times after the boot was damaged and let water in. The aftermarket cheap ones suck so if yours are good then leave them alone.