Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Another tire help topic!

Old 10-10-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FS: 15 inch rims not stock

I read like every post on tires and it was like a total brain overload for me. So I just figured I would make my own lil topic and condense it all into one. But as far as I know, my car has had the same tires since it was bought. They are the stock ones, and have NO tred left, probably a huge reason I was in that wreck. But basically, I dont need any kind of winter special tires, because we dont really have winter down here, and what winter we do have there is NO snow. Roads are really bad here though, in most places. Some are good, but its the country. Kinda worries me about getting my bodykit too, because I dont want to be scrubbing everywhere, so I gotta do something to help that maybe. But I want bigger tires (16-17's), but know nothing about that. I dont know if you have to do anything special to get them to fit or what. But, I need all the help I can get!
Old 10-10-2004, 03:19 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: Turbo mods

by biggest, if you mean widest.... that would be a 215/x/x tire. on stock suspension, you shouldn't come across rubbing, however it is recommended to put 205/x/x tires on.

goin 16's? 205/45/16 is your tire

going 17's? 205/40/17 is what you want...

your stock tire should be 195/55/15. stock tire is Michelin MXV4. If you don't plan on getting new rims soon, you can either stick w/ that tire size, or elect to go with 195/60/15. i did that size on my stockers because the 55 series tends to be more money....

you want a good all season type tire? check out Goodyear's new tire "Assurety" with triple-tread technology. I think this tire will perform under all weather situations...

hope that helps
Old 10-10-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: 2004 ABQ BBQ - Who's Coming? (ABQ = Albuquerque New Mexi

Try looking into Discountire. Get on their site and browse through their selection..sometimes they have sales and offer reasonable advise through their 1-800# on their selections.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: anti-lock brakes

My front 16's rub a bit.

I think they are 55/16's.

I'll find out and post here.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: FS:Clarion ProAudio VRX935VD

Yeah I knew the 55's were pretty pricey, last time I looked around for prices I noticed, thats one reason I wanna get 16's or 17's. Whats the comparision between the two sizes? and I'll prolly stick with the 205, just to be safe.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Windshield Question

QUOTE (alabama_boi)
I wanna get 16's or 17's. Whats the comparision between the two sizes?

The difference is the amount of tire wall. 17's will have less tire wall, low profile, and 16's will have more. This might equal less bumps/dents/straches if your roads are sh!tty.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: FS : lots of goodies UPDATED 10/10

But performance wise, are they about the same? I dont think the roads are that bad to where I couldnt use 17's or so.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: 2004 ABQ BBQ - Who's Coming? (ABQ = Albuquerque New Mexi

Hrmm....I think it depends on the weight of the rims and tires. If you get 16's they are generally lighter (smaller) but it hard to say. I'm sure there are 17's out there that are lighter than 16's but $$$$$$$.

Also centrifugal (???) force comes into play too I think. Kinda the same as the weight issue but, i dunno. If there is a smaller inner piece I think that has an affect on performance. Look at the top fuel dragsters, they have very small wheels/rims and big tires.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Re: FS : lots of goodies UPDATED 10/10

if you are confused as to what all the numbers mean, here's a breakdown:

###/##/##

first number: "thickness" of tire wall (get something between 195-215)/
second number: "profile" of tire (get whatever you want, obviously the lower the number the less profile you have, i would suggest getting between 40-55)/
diameter (this has to match the size of your rim, so if you have stock 15s, then this number has to be 15)

i would suggest looking at some kumho's, ecsta's are nice and inexpensive tires...i would get 205/45/(rim size, 15 if you have stock rims)
check out www.tirerack.com they have a really good support staff and prices, if you order a "bad" size tire for your car, they will call you and talk
Old 10-10-2004, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: Tibby01's LED Stuff

195/60/15

i used to have two of those. they rubbed a bit against my fender walls but that's only because the guards were flapping off just a bit. you hear it from me, they came with my car when i first got them. i loved those tires. they handle really well, go over any size pothole. they make your car look cool. handle great in any conditions. less tire wear on those. and yes. kumho ecsta supras are cheap and VERY good. check those out. you can't get a better price than for those. $85 per tire. ultra high performance all weather (really really great in the rain! the treads shoot the water right out!) they're korean too!

if i were you, i would definitely go with 16 inch rims. if you don't want to be blown off by a cracked rim in alabama, 16's look nice and they offer better acceleration/handling. they are a lighter rim. you just have to find the right one. good 16's usually sell for $500-$600. if you want 17's, you better prepare yourself for some damage. the first few days i put my rims on, maryland got the best of 'em. they're pretty much more for glamour.