Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Aftermarket springs cause torque steer?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent
Default Aftermarket springs cause torque steer?

A few months back I installed a set of aftermarket coil springs on my 97 Accent GT. They were supposed to give a 1.4" drop but it was more like .75". I drove it for a day before getting an alignment and it rode kind of like being the crown of a road but a little more extreme with some slight torque steer to the left under hard acceleration. Even after the alignment it rode pretty much the same. If I moved the steering wheel it just didn't seem to return to center correctly. This was all when I had the original 1.5 alpha. Now that I have a beta in it's place the torque steer is very noticeable. Is it possible that my alignment needs to be a little out of spec to compensate for the springs?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I've never heard of needing to do that assuming that the alignment was able to be done to within specs. A lot of the time it can't be aligned to within specs without a camber kit when lowered though.