Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

98 coilovers on a 97?

Old 02-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant find a nonexpensive price on coilovers for my car.
the shop i goto said they found 98-01 tiburon coilovers.
so i was wondering if the 98 will fit mine?
b/c iam getting my rims put on and i would like to get my coilovers ordered tommorow or sat.
heres the coilovers they were telling me about.

http://arospeed.com/product_info.php?cPath...products_id=633
Old 02-19-2004, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default anyone get the pods yet???

Same parts for all 1st Gens.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: civic

i vouch for redz, and those springs/coilovers will work for gk's too
Old 02-19-2004, 11:25 PM

i saw those coilovers too...what is the quality with those?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:56 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Same as with most sleeve style coilovers I'm guessing. The ride will be a bit more bouncy and you'll know everytime the road isn't PERFECT. I had probably the worst ever sleeve style coilovers for tibs a while back. I prototyped em for Super High Technology, and MAN THEY SUCKED. But that's just those ones, they couldn't afford to sell those things because of the amount of lawsuits they'd recieve about em.

In the way of Coilovers, if you truly worry about "quality" then you gotta fork over the dough for some "full coilovers, or true coilovers" usually 700-1500 bux
Old 02-20-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Bringing back old posts

as for true coilovers...aren't those just a strut and spring set?....u can easily buy springs/adjustable sleeve spring and then an adjustable strut and have basically the same setup right?
Old 02-20-2004, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

well, "true coilovers" (which noone seems to know what to call them), are a matched strut and spring set. There are a couple different varieties available. The "cup suspension" kits which are not adjustable. The "Street" kits which are ride height adjustable only, and the fully adjustable sets which are ride height, spring preload, damper valving and camber adjustable. The key is the kits are matched and tested by the manf.

Yes, you can buy adjustable sleeve coilovers and then get aftermarket struts but it isn't the same. Because your mixing and matching different manf. products, it takes quite a bit of research to make sure you'll end up with a well balanced suspension.

Take for example, the Aerospeed coilovers linked above. I happen to know that they are linear springs with a rate of 400F and 300R. The only aftermarket strut available capable of damping a 400# spring is the Koni Sport insert.

With a front rate of 400#. The appropriate rear spring rate for neutral handling would be something around 225#. With a 300# rear spring, the car would be balanced toward oversteer. Probably significantly.

You could get a 225# spring and swap out the 300s to have a more balanced set.

My personal feeling is that a 400 pound linear spring would be too stiff for everyday use. Even presuming you had adequate damping. Of course, thats just an opinion.

So what about other adjustable sleeve coilovers? Well, Ground control makes a set utilizing Eibach springs. Eibach springs are about 30% stiffer than stock, which puts the max progessive rate around 280F and 150R. A pretty well balance set of springs. They Koni inserts would be a good choice here also. But you could also use the KYB GR2 or Sachs struts. You'd have to be careful about lowering the car too much, though, as both of these are rated for use only up to 1.5" lower than stock.

Anyway, I got a little sidetracked, but my point is that it's not as simple as it might appear to put together a suspension package.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:46 PM

thankyou for explaining all the vaguries.. most people do not get it.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:07 AM

yeah i hear that....does tien make a kit for the tibbies?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

yep. http://www.kspec.com