Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

60+ Mph= Wheel Shake Under= Smooth

Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I just got 4 new tires mounted and balanced on Tuesday, and i knew i had a warped rotor when I inspected the rotor while they were mounting my tires. So yesterday i replaced my front rotors, now if i go above 60 I can mix a drink just sitting in the car. Pressing the brake does not remove the wheel shake just slowing down does.

If the tires are new and just been mounted and balanced and new rotors and pads installed in the front, what else could be broke, bent, F-ed up to cause it to shake? The shaking is also not harmonic its 60 and above, no matter what speed, it does not go away a different speeds but it does not even happen at lower speeds.

I have not had any ball joints or tie rod ends replaced recently so im thinking maybe its time for one of those to be replaced?

lastly and it may just be me but i think its pulling to the right as well... I had an alignment done last inspection (last march).
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

buldge in the right tire? Make sure all tires are the same size, proper direction, and physically appear perfect.

Since it happened immediately after new rotors and tires, maybe the problem is with one of those. Maybe one of the new rotors was warped or has a problem with it.

Did you buy the parts, or rely on dealership/service station to provide tires/rotors?

I know nothing about wheel bearings, so I don't know what to suggest for that.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Veloster

9 times out of 10 if the shaking is only occuring at high speeds its the result of either a tire being improperly balanced or a shifted belt in the tire. If the belts shifted its pretty much impossible to balance.

If that is what it is, your two choices are replace the bad tire, or move it to the back left of the vehicle (as far away from the steering wheel as possible), and it slightly reduces the vibration.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Tiburon/RD1

I think you need to get te front rebalanced.
It start happening after you replaced the front rotors.

Are they stock or aftermarket?
I need to get mine rebalanced aswell after the BBK upgrade. I have the same issue, only after 70mph
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 AM

The tire place I went to I have had no problems with it all. All they do is tires. Ill look over the tire again but since they are brand new i dont think there would be a bulge.

I never heard of a shifted belt in the tire. Is there a way to check for that?

Majik, if a new rotor is warped i would be able to feel it when i press the brakes. Thats how i knew the old one was chewed up.
What makes you say wheel bearing?

Domi, im getting it inspected soon so im going to have them take a look at it possibly. If i swap the front and the rear ill just have them realign it. Although realignment only fixes the steering wheel not being true. Shaking means rotational force and pulling or pushing of some sort.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Veloster

The only way I've noticed a shifted belt in the tire is when the tech at my dealership took me to the balancer when he was balancing it and you can see the tire wobbling. I'm not too sure how else to check for it. Its incredibly noticable if that's what it is though. So if they do only tires I would bet they'd notice and that's probably not the problem then.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I said wheel bearing because many Tibs have problems with wheel bearings. I know nothing about them, just wanted to mention it.

If that place does nothing but tires, it shouldn't be a problem for them to swap out the tire or throw it on a balancing machine to check it. Do it before you put many more miles on it
Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it happened right after you installed new rotors, I would suspect the rotors first. Either way, it is easy enough to rotate the tire 90 degrees on the axle and see if it changes. Just unbolt, remove, turn, bolt back on & drive.

It is possible that the a tire went funky at the same time so +1 for going and having the tires checked out too.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I watch firestone each time they align and balance my wheels. I have a lifetime warranty on my alignment and balance. Sometimes they mount the wheel improperly to the machine and it's at a slight angle. If they do that, then the balance will be off. Also, counterbalancing will do the same thing. If there's weights in more then two locations on the rim (front side and back side) then they counterbalanced your wheel instead of placing the weight where it's needed.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Ok so another day form hell. So i replaced my rear rotors, fount drivers side rear caliper frozen and boot ripped... FYI for everyone, rear calipers do not come with the bracket that holds the e-brake cable on. Just letting you know so you dont have to drive back to the parts store as soon as you get home.

Anyhow... replaced the rear caliper on the drivers side and swaped the front and rear tires on both sides.

IT SEEMS LIKE THE VIBRATION ALMOST DISAPPEARED..

Im now leaning towards a a tire. Im going to go back to the tire place and see if they will look at it again to see if its out of balance.

Im also looking to seeing what the place i bought the tires from can do... anyone else ever use www.tire-easy.com?

Whats your thoughts and oppions now?