Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

5-lug Conversion To A Rd2?

Old 08-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got a friend of mine that is looking into doing a 5-lug conversion on a 2000 tib. i was wondering if any one made a kit, or if it is even possible?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I would think that it would be possible by pulling parts off other hyundai's but whats really the point? Only one I could think of would be a broader selection of wheels since 5 lug is much more popular than 4x114.3

you might wanna look into a swap from a gk... look up the parts on webtech and see if they look the same.

dang this is going to take a lot of work, new hubs, wheels, rotors, calipers...
Old 08-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

there is no kit that i know of here in korea..

what they do here they knock out the four wheel studs on the OEM hubs drill it for 5 bolt pattern and spot weld the studs "depends on there appclation"

but that is pretty much it fing02.gif

they do this to put on the better Rims.AKA 18' volks stuff like that do to the fact that they make very few 4bolt rims
Old 08-15-2005, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You know, I think this has been asked on Kspec.com before, might wanna search there.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM

yeah the only reason he wanted to it was because of the broader selection of rims,
Old 08-15-2005, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

yes like mad john said, the best and easiest way is to get a 5 lug rotor like a used one or a bad one from the local mechanic, hes bound to have a bad/old one lying around, and he'll probably give it to you, and use it as a template, put it up against the hub, after you have taken out the 4 lug bolts, they pop right out, then trace the 5 lug pattern onto the hub assembly, then drill the holes, and buy new lug bolts, and bamm, 5 lug, its not too difficult, you should try it and let us know how it turns out
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I'd like to do it without drilling. My reason for converting would be to get more strength. 4 lugs will probably snap before 5.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

^True true, you will weaken it alittle do the the simple fact that you introduce a new way of creatine streess crack in the cast, granted i have seen it done here and people roll for years on them with no problems... all it take is that crack to reach the grain bounders in the metal and a crack will acour and then its a mater of time before it goes by by... if you wanted 110% and if you had the money you could cast new ones. but the chaces of the hubs falling apart is very very low. if you want to do this drill them give the backs of the wheelstuds a "Tap" of a arc welder.. take them to a percision casting shop and have them X-ray them for any types of crack in them and if you want it all. do what my dad did for uncle sam for 40 years and NDT/Eddycurrent them. they use these process on jet engines to locate streess craks in metal it is a form of ultrasonic testing

sorry i got on a roll there my dad always took me to site visits when i was young i watch and i leaned..

BTW would the hubs off the GK work i wonder
Old 08-16-2005, 08:50 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Guys I've been working on this for the past couple years, and from EVERY part I've seen from the GK vs. the RD, they'll work.

There is no reason I see they wouldn't work, other than the splines in the axle not fitting, but I doubt they'd change that with as many OEM parts as they left the same.

I just need a donor GK, which I may have as of today, and we'll be able to check. I dont recommend anyone roll around with spot welded studs though, or drilled holes for new studs. Keep in mind how ABSOLUTELY perfect your OEM stud holes are designed and drilled. That is to ensure your wheel rotates correctly. Make one fraction of a hair off on those new holes, like so close you cant even tell, and it'll show in the ride. It'll be way more obvious if you screwed up ever half second or so it takes the off balance wheel to rotate once. Thats why we get our wheels balanced and rotated, so we dont run into probs like this, so I wouldn't suggest going out and MAKING your own probs. Just wait on info from the GK swaps.

I'm speechless as to why they dont already know this in Korea????
Old 08-16-2005, 10:10 AM

^The studs are there to hold the wheel, not to center it. That's the hub's job, and that's why hub-centric rings are important. The studs are pretty damn near perfectly aligned, but they are not.

Denis has done just this, although it was for a 4x100 conversion (he REALLLLY wanted those rims heheh wink1.gif).

What about some pics? Pics courtesy of guuzu.com, of course wink1.gif