Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

17s?

Old 10-10-2004, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Re: Looks or speed?

i see a lot of people having 17s on their tibs, but in all the posts on here (mostly from redz) i see it saying how bad 17s are...
why? what's the deal?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: My new CAI

once you get about 16 inchers.. you start running into HEAVY rims and tyres.. which offset any handling increase you might get from running a shorter sidewall. Plus, 17s and above are more prone to rubbing on the bodywork and damage from driving on the road.. not to mention the decrease in ride...
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: My new CAI

17's look good, and are a slight improvement in handling due to the increased diameter BUT this also slows down your car a little as well. I don't do alot of racing so I put 17's on for looks and handling. I also shelled out some bucks to buy forged wheels to keep the weight down. It just depends on what you want.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default RIP Christopher Reeve

Yup, Cyber just about summed it up if you race quite abit and want to keep the quality of your ride, go with 16's. If it's for show and you still drive around alot get 17's. I personally have 17's
Old 10-11-2004, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: RIP Christopher Reeve

well, you're more prone to scratching up your rim. i hate parallel parking 2-3 times over again just to make sure i'm not hitting any curbs. if a 15' 16' tire hits the curb, OK. if your new 17' $900 rims scrape the curb, then you've got a problem.

If you hit a huge pot hole at the right speeds, your 17' rim has a higher chance of cracking.

it's the same thing as lowering your car. when you lower it, your chances of "bottoming out" (meaning bottom of car bashing against asphalt) on a speedbump are so much greater. think of what kinds of damage you are looking at when you bottom out... your car may get shaken up. you can destroy your engine, splashguards, frames, bumper...etc. but people do it anyways for racing purposes. not every road is a 1/4 mile runway track.

more or like the same thing with a bodykit. if you park too close to a parking curb, the fiberglass will bend/break causing the paint to crack.

bodykits, rims, lowering springs are all legal--but not endorsed by car companies for those exact reasons. if we lived in perfect environments where nothing could affect our cars, i think all cars would be hooked up from the assembly line. there's numerous ways one can improve handling, looks, speed...etc. but the conditions that we live in are the very reason we have limits. 17' are right under that limit. 18' is over.

i got 17's because they are considerably below the limit. they look great. you can see more of the wheel well, painted calipers, rotors...etc. i think those can be pretty too and should not be covered up. my handling is the same, no improvement really, little to none in acceleration improvement, no speed improvement. noise levels are considerably down!, they weigh the same as my stock gen1 tiburon rims but the chicks dig these more :twisted:
Old 10-11-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Re: DIY

i got 17 inchers. They rock, dont weigh me down , car sits a lil bit higher but doesn't look goofy cause the kit is on there.

Get some wheel spacers for the back also, or else you're wheels wont line up with ur kit.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: DIY

i got 17" roh rims. they look great but suck at the same time. everytime i hit a small bump, they always hit the TOP of my fender and bend it. i already had to get a new fender. also, my alinment was so bad, the mechanics at my work had never seen anything that far off. also i hit a big curb with them in the snow, didnt do tooo much damage to the rim, because they are suppositly crack proof, but my axle bimper and fender did grunt most of the damage. but i would never get rid of them. they look sick. rims that big on a small car like ours, make it look like a benz with 20's laugh.gif . mgo for the 17's
Old 10-11-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Cheap way around an FMU or RRFPR

i was a bit worried about handling with my 17"'s but after i fitted them apart from a bit of extra torque steer and a slightly more bumpy ride they didnt seem that much different than the stock wheels. they make the car look 100% better. i say go for it.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Cheap way around an FMU or RRFPR

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe)
If you hit a huge pot hole at the right speeds, your 17' rim has a higher chance of cracking.

That's why you fork out the dough and get forged wheels.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Re: Looks or speed?

sounds to me like they're a good idea...lol, how come everywhere else people are saying 17+tiburon = BAAAD
well when i get my new set of wheels i think ill be lookin for 17s...what is that you were saying about having a kit? wheel spacers? :-S