Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

16 Inch Tires

Old 09-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few points to remark...
Tires also affect ride/performance comprimise (even when they are rated the same size) because sidewall stiffness varies from model to model, sportier tires will have much stiffer sidewalls than average tires, unfortunatlely it's not to simple to learn about that before buying the tire because it's not listed, you must know that by others 's experience.
One way to improve comfort is by getting softer sidewall tires; in that dpt. I found Dunlops are very good, soft tires while keeping very acceptable handling and traction (SP 8000 and FM901).

The 16" performance tires are being left aside because in these days 15" light whells are the "racing" option, while more and more people opt because of looks for something bigger, and that people think like "...if I am going to spend X$ on rims, why settle on 16" when i can get 17" " plus they usually give a crap for performance (even when they don't accept it). Don't take me wrong, I don't have anything against 17" rims and I think Tibs look really awsome in them, but if it's pure performance we are talking about, a 15" rim with a stiff sidewall tire in a size let's say 195/50 15" is a better choice than any 16" equivalent combo.
Now, IF you need bigger brakes (or you will go turbo, which will increase insanely your cars torque) you can put those tires and take advantage of their performance.

There are other cases too, like the VW Golf GTi (which at least locally and initially) came offered with 15" rims, and 195/65 tires 65 profile!!!!!!!!! that should be a truck tire only! That is a clear case of a car offered with undersized rims, like would be a Tib with 13" rims (if they would fit, which does not) but for our cars, I think 15" is a good option, which 16" for a better look and cornering car, not necesarily anything else. I wouldn't go with anything larger than 16".
I ride now Enkei rims in 15" size, and they weigh 11lb, it feels good and agile.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know alot of people hear dont agree with it but im running 215/35/18 no rubbing but not a whole lot of tire, IMO i cant tell a difference between my 17's and 18's except my 18's seem to handle a bit better... and that im screwed on a nice pot hole

but if i get a set of track rims it would be 16 in gram lights with a good performance tire