Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

You don't see trucks pull on Ferrari's on the highway very often!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default You don't see trucks pull on Ferrari's on the highway very often!

http://news.epicinter.net/turbo-gmc-...errari-italia/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghoq9IPeZfI
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

America engines, if nothing else, are pretty robust and take a ton of boost/abuse. This isn't terribly surprising, but take that into a corner and see what happens.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Tibbi
This isn't terribly surprising, but take that into a corner and see what happens.

Throw 1000Lbs of fertilizer in the Ferrari and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 AM

I can safely say, even then the Ferrari still has the truck in the twisties. Like most super cars these things have a weight restriction, which usually around 600 lbs. However, with that much power it's still going to have some cornering abilities (probable akin to a decently tuned import at worst), depending mostly on how the half ton of dung is distributed.

I'll also add that the truck is likely not using the stock transmission if it's pulling those speeds. More that likely it's a seq or H designed for racing, so in that case even it won't be so hot for hauling or towing. So it's kind of a moot point. Either loaded down with a 1000 lbs of crap will suffer. I'd just feel more guilty about shitting all over my Ferrari.

And yes, I assumed you meant "natural" fertilizer for the purposes of humor.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

1000 Lbs. of fertilizer would break the Ferrari. / end

The truck is probably running a 4L80E, which is what comes in a 2500. Will run just fine with a full bed.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Your math is weak old man.

I have done some research on this matter, and as expected the posted weight limit on a 458i is indeed 600lbs. 400 more may be significant, but according to the indisputable laws of psychics, if applied evenly over the vehicle to disperse the load, an extra 100lbs of sprung weight on each wheel shouldn't prove terribly troublesome. At worst the vehicle will sag but it's not going to be enough to drag the ground. These things are designed to take the stress of multiple g-forces at speed, so worst case you'll wear out the shocks and slow the cornering speed significantly. However being a Ferrari those cornering speeds are insane enough that "slower" is still pretty damn fast by normal perspective.

Likewise it'll take significant mods for an 4L80E to hold that kind of power. Even given that case, the mods make that a non-stock part. More to my point, to get that kind of speed out of the trans you're going to have to swap the AM/Jag final drive which will significantly reduce hauling capacity. But please, argue further.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Likewise it'll take significant mods for an 4L80E to hold that kind of power. Even given that case, the mods make that a non-stock part. More to my point, to get that kind of speed out of the trans you're going to have to swap the AM/Jag final drive which will significantly reduce hauling capacity. But please, argue further.

I had a bone stock 4L80E in my garage that has seen 1200Lb/Ft of torque and it's stock. I've built a few GM's.

But an even cheaper TH400 would do the same thing.

Oh, and a 458 might not break while parked with 1000Lbs on it, but as soon as you try to move it, it will. One small bump... if the clutch pack doesn't burn up first.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:25 PM

I built a 350 for my old Caprice to around 470hp and low 400's tq. That may not be fantastic by today's measure, but it was more than enough to trash every rich kid civic in my old high school. And for that matter *I* built it myself working evenings and weekends at A&P, not mommy and daddy's money. All on a stock 200R4 which lasted many years, and more than 150k miles, of teenager abuse (and tickets) before it finally gave up. Building a Gm isn't all that special, it's a rite of passage in the south.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Oh, and a 458 might not break while parked with 1000Lbs on it, but as soon as you try to move it, it will. One small bump...
At full speed the car is designed to produce 360KG of downforce with full occupancy. So to put it bluntly:

As i said prior, you're not going to break speed records around any corners, but it most certainly is possible. And without a doubt, a hell of a lot faster than that truck. Most of the "How?" and "Why?" comes down to weight distribution.

Originally Posted by i8acobra
if the clutch pack doesn't burn up first.
I'll give you that first gear would be interesting. You certainly wouldn't reattempt it!