Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Would a new Supra save Honda?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default Would a new Supra save Honda?

Honda has been in a downward spiral for years now and their brand just isn’t as great as it once was. If they were to come out with an actual new Supra to compete with Nissan (GTR) and Acura (NSX)…would it help them out? Even though Acura is basically Honda in another form, people still don’t compare the 2 in a lot of ways.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Why would a new TOYOTA save Honda again?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Good to see you guys are paying attention! I saw this exact thread posted on a Ford forum and it took about a page worth of replies before someone realized that Honda and Supra dont go together. I was curious to see how long before someone here caught it.

Now, that being said, and you guys obviously being smarter than the Ford community....if TOYOTA comes out with a new Supra....how well will it compete with the NSX and GTR? I'm not talking about the little BZR thats coming out. I mean a full blooded all out Supra.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

LOL I think you had us all going there for a bit. "Who's this noob?? " to you sir!

I really doubt they would every come out with one though. Especially because of the new fuel regulations, it would be very hard for them to come back with a fullblooded Supra.

That being said, I think Toyota could certainly do a fine job in keeping up with the new supercars. I personally would LOVE to see one.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

If the economy was doing better, I think you would see people buying them more. You can get used, non raped GTR's around here for about 60K now. Your average high school kid working at Burger King wont have one, but people who are further in their careers and are doing ok, are owning them pretty easily now.

The NSX will definitely be for the super rich....the ones who can afford Lambos, 6 figure cars, and so on. I think if a new Supra is built, it would most likely be close the price of a new GTR. More regular professional people will be able to afford it versus an NSX since after a few years...a Supra could be within the price tag of 50-60K as well.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: x3

i thought the OP was on to something. if toyota made a new supra, they would soup it up and put it in a fast and furious movie. then all the ricers would buy hondas and ebay parts to try to make them fast (read: loud).

the only flaw i saw with that logic is ricers rarely can afford new models, sticking with the older 'beater' models.

maybe thoughts on the Scion BRZ?