Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Where is Veloster at Frankfurt?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Where is Veloster at Frankfurt?

With countless articles emerging on Hyundai's confirmation of the Veloster production concept Tiburon successor being revealed at the Frankfurt Auto Show on Monday, there's just no word of it. We've got the:

Elantra Lithium-Polymer Hybrid
Hyundai i10
Hyundai i30
Hyundai ix35 (Tucson)
Hyundai ixMetro concept

It can't be the ix Metro, it's a 1.0L and is nothing like what they described, nor is it on the i30 chassis. The show opens in two days and no word of it! I feel like I'm anxious for nothing, following by disappointment and cluelessness similar to when Hyundai said they were returning to WRC in 2006, released sketches of the concept, and then disappeared off the face of the earth and didn't even say what happened. Please be on the lookout!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

We've been talking about it on HyundaiThinkTank with the project manager, I didn't see anything about it being showed at Frankfurt though.

The interesting info?

Brand new engine, it's not the theta, it's not a beta derivative, or alpha related.

40 MPG, on a 1.6L engine, and 140 HP is what they are claiming. Supposed to look 80 to 90% like the concept, and have a brand new feature for "it's class", I'm just hoping it's not that sunroof we've seen. Also supposed to be really "Tech" oriented, so I'm expecting HUD, nav, lighting, and tons of stuff. I'm anxious to see the final version for sure, but if they don't work on the back, and it looks that bad in person, I'm not buying into it, or buying it.

Here's part of the info.

During an exclusive interview with Edmunds Inside Line, John Krafcik announced a sporty front wheel drive vehicle that will look 70-80 percent like the exterior of the Veloster, pictured below. The still-unnamed vehicle will be approximately the size of an Accent and have a "surprise" body style feature. that will be a segment first. The focus of the vehicle will be on fun-to-drive and fuel economy, something Mr. Krafcik refers to as "Eco-sport." It will be powered by a 1.6-liter four cylinder engine with direct injection producing about 140 hp, and is estimated to achieve 40 MPG on the highway. Finally, there will be a LCD screen included as standard equipment.

Another quote...

Hey everyone, I am the Product Manager for this vehicle and it is great to hear your comments. Like REDZMAN, I am also surprised that there isn't much discussion going on about this car.

To address some of the topics so far:
- Tiburon was the sports car in Hyundai's line-up, and in many ways, it has been replaced by the Genesis Coupe. This car is something different alltogether. The basic premise is that a economical car does not have to be boring. Kind of a throwback to the small FWD coupes of the 80's, like CRX. The difference being that this car will also have a technology focus.

- The engine is all-new and not derrived from the beta or theta families.

- There will be a manual transmission, for sure

- The interior does not look anything like the show car, it is much more modern and sporty looking.

I'll try to post more later, but feel free to ask questions and give me your thoughts.

Mark

That's the project manager. I asked him about the Frankfurt thing, so we'll see if they have anything to say.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I really like the Think Tank. smile.gif

Although it's a little hard to keep track of things the way it's laid out.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I agree, looks like they tried to make it user friendly, and instead failed utterly. LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM

^great update RED ZMAN. much appreciated. it's good some of us are contacting thinktank. i really hope more "old schoolers" would do so because i think there are too many people who don't come deep enough from our roots. i'd like to shout some insights on where the concentration of the market will be, and what they're going about poor dealership service/reputation playing a big factor.

I should really join thinktank, but i don't think i'm up-to-date enough, don't fully understand their business ethics and current car trends. i've mailed Peugeot and Ferrari workers before and they claimed that like any company, they could not reveal anything to me unless i work there. i've written to Hyundai and none of my letters got answered.

they are probably going to put in some side doors, maybe ones that slide like a van or something. i really hope that this concept isn't just another lost cause.

here's one of the first images coming out of Frankfurt today:
(with some hott ladies i might add)

http://4wheelsnews.com/images/2009/septemb...ncept_iaa_5.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/me...n-ix35-live.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/me...n-ix35-live.jpg

Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM

anyone notice this on facebook?

Hyundai: "Something cool is coming. Scratch that, something VERY cool is coming. Tune in here on Wednesday, December 2nd at 11:30 a.m., PST, and watch our livestream as we debut an all-new Hyundai vehicle. We can’t tell you too much, but trust us, you wanna be here. We’ll see you on Wednesday."

hmmmmmmmm.....

if it's anywhere near "Introducing the Brand New Tucson IX. Nice ride. Try America's best warranty" like from thinktank, i will let out a big manly grunt followed by a winter sigh of sorrow.