Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

What Would You Tell If Asked About...

Old 02-07-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, a friend of mine is asking me if buying a 97 2.4 Cavalier (disc brakes all around with ABS and auto tranny) would be a good idea.
I don't exactly what to tell him, because I don't know much obut those cars; here is what I know;
the car he is thinking about buying is in good shape (it's not mint, but body is good, it seems it has no crashes at all) it handles decently (for a OEM car that is to be driven "average way") and engine has 50k miles on it. It's a 2 door, the asking price for the car is $2500 (US dollars, GM and Fords have a sh!t resale value here, a std. 97 Tib in average condition and less than 60k miles would sale for more than double).

Now the thing is my friend does not know much about cars, but likes cars, he wants to do minor mixed show-go mods (as would be new rims and tires in 16" at the most, "maybe" springs and shocks --GR2 like shocks-- and possibly a nice paint work). Do you know how well bad this cars are?

All I know is they have a 4cyl engine with 2400cc and puts out like 140HP stock, I guess it would have more torque than our 2.0 Betas?

Any input will be welcomed.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

http://www.j-body.org/
Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 AM

My friend just sold his the other day (same year and modle). I didnt really like the car all that much. Neither did he. It had some tranny issues (it was starting to slip), the AC pump went on it, and the motor blew on him like a month before he sold it. For the price I guess you cant complain, but IMO I would not get it. The only way I would get one is if it was strictly a "gets me from point A to B" kinda car, not one that Id mod at all.
Power wise, I could easily take his car with my Tib. So with an auto trans I wouldnt expect anything to nice in that field.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

a Cavalier is cheap. Not worth the value in my opinion. I wouldn't pay more than $2,500 for it... I'd get something else. 50k miles isn't much, but any show/go mods will not be worth it to me. A co-worker of mine (not into cars at all) told me when he drives his 2000 Cavalier, it barely makes it up a hill and he prays that it won't start rolling backwards while he's creeping up the hill. They aren't powerful cars, they don't look good, and I wouldn't own one.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

My buddy has a 97 cav,...good thing he is a welder!.His wife bought it new(seen it the day they brought it home)..Rust bucket!! fenders,floor all welded on,uses for woods vehicle now!haha . Don't pay more than$800. cdn for the cav!!..... I looked at a immaculate 97 5 speed tib with 89km in hfx today for only $2500.cdn., ....tell him to get a tib (parts are dirt cheap for a cav,,thats bout the only good thing)...
Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 PM

One of my friends has had one for around 2 years, she bought it in good mechanical condition and had all the nessecary up keep on it done. Right now it's barlying holding together and everytime she turns around somethings broken on it..... I wouldn't have one, even if someone gave it to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Thank you guys for your feedback, I guess my answer to my friend is going to be that he has to bargain it's price to less than 2000, around 1800 if he still wants to get it.
I took another look at the car and the truth is it is in good shape, we even took a little ride on it and it felt all right, no funny noises or any loose feeling on the steering nor auto tranny, nor brakes.
I think if he can get it for near 2000 it would be a godd price for such a low mileage car.
Thx
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

if he plans to mod it, don't buy a cav. if he's just going to drive it daily and keep it stock, basically use a car to just get from point A to point B, then its fine.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

my wife has a 99 z24 cav. It's an ok car and is very reliable in my opinion. The only time it breaks down is when she forgets to put gas in it. It was actually faster stock than my stock tib (both 5-speed). But after just a few mods it's passed it up. (the z24 has 150 hp we have 140)

anyways they are a good car, cheap to drive, parts can be found anywhere. downside is every other car is a cav.